What's new

Which Clutch/Flywheel is Best

Reaction score
So the time seems to have arrived and my clutch is slipping and Im getting a rattle from somewhere when I put the clutch in and engage a gear also whilst driving it rattles it fookin anoying, could it be the thrust bearing?, anyway I want to replace the Flywheel and Clutch as one item, hopefully including the thrust bearing, and I want as easy a swap as possible but a good quality item. Have been told Exeddy are good or Orc, any ideas or thoughts?! also where can I get one for a good price..ish lol....Phew that was long:wack:

Also what clutches are you guys and gals running that aren't standard and are there any problems or niggles or vibrations...

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I can't comment on the Flywheel part of your question but I'm currently running the standard S15 dual mass fly with a S14 ACT heavy duty organic clutch kit. The bite is quite strong in comparison to the standard clutch, but also progressive. The pedal feel is similar to original but maybe a touch heavier and more positive. Perfect for all round use IMO, but obviously no good for clutch kicking or anything like that.

I was originally going to go with a solid flywheel but am glad I didn't now as the combo feels great and doesn't have any vibrations commonly associated with solid flywheels.

:)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i have the exedy hyper single and its superb. takes some getting used to but once you do get it its spot on. being single mass flywheel as part of the kit you do get a little vibration de-cellerating at certain revs but nothing unbearable and you learn to drive around them. pedal is soft, biting point is as per all paddle clutches, on or off. :)

Jay

Reaction score
hks twin plate here.... tbh its not my cuppa, its noisy and has on/off biting point but on the other hand will take any amount of abuse so i have learnt to live with it...

T

tripleJs15

I have a ORC-409D, best clutch I ever used, but it's for sale, switching to a z32 Transmission. I will sell it for a reasonable price if you're willing to pay shipping.

Thanks.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Exedy Twin Plate - it's a bitch!!! :D

lol I exaggerate... I think I'm used to punishing myself so the the fact my left leg kills after I go around a tight carpark forwards and backwards may tell you something :wack:

It can be used as a daily driver... I take my kids to school every morning and it's a dead end road *pffff*. Extremely on/off as you'd expect but I can live with that. Uphill starts - best use the handbrake like a learner driver haha :p

But where it comes into it's element is drifting and launching. Clutch kick (which I do more rarely now) is immense... the back just flips out easy. Power delivery to wheels is aggressive. Yes, it's harsh on the gearbox but we all expect that. At least I don't have to changed a fooked clutch after 5 months like last time!!!

I hear OS Giken are very good but may be even more expensive than Exedy??

T

tripleJs15

The ORC actually feels better than stock, drive like a daily and will hold 600 horses easily without slipping. The pedal is extremely soft, engages great and you can start on a hill ect.

Like I mentioned, best clutch ever.

Thanks.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
The ORC 409 series are only rated to 400hp.

I've had 4 clutches in my silvia alone and THE ABSOLUTE BEST HANDS DOWN BAR NONE is my carbonetics carbons; I love them so much that I actually have 2 clutches for the 1 silvia - one single plate and one twin plate... the single is being used whilst the twin has already been tested and currently in the garage because I can't choose between the two.

A guy asked the same question recently and I wrote and linked him to a few detailed posts:
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=437863&view=findpost&p=5715024

You guys have a UK carbonetics headquarters, I'm sure they are very helpful and you can get your hands on one of these clutches through them.

T

tripleJs15

The ORC 409 series are only rated to 400hp.

I've had 4 clutches in my silvia alone and THE ABSOLUTE BEST HANDS DOWN BAR NONE is my carbonetics carbons; I love them so much that I actually have 2 clutches for the 1 silvia - one single plate and one twin plate... the single is being used whilst the twin has already been tested and currently in the garage because I can't choose between the two.

A guy asked the same question recently and I wrote and linked him to a few detailed posts:
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=437863&view=findpost&p=5715024

You guys have a UK carbonetics headquarters, I'm sure they are very helpful and you can get your hands on one of these clutches through them.
That 400 is just a number bud, I've dyno'd at 585whp on 4th at 29psi, and had my clutch for one year now, had it one the year before at 404whp.

Clutch still looks like new.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
That 400 is just a number bud, I've dyno'd at 585whp on 4th at 29psi, and had my clutch for one year now, had it one the year before at 404whp.

Clutch still looks like new.
Just saying that's the power that ORC rate their 409 at for a silvia, though Japs are known to under-rate their things