What's new

2 way diff issues

L

luckyali

Hi,
Recently i noticed that my 2way diff isnt making the clunk clunk noise while i lock the steering wheel and turn or at turns usually.

does that usually happen or my diff is finsihed???

everynow and then when i get the car moving from a standstill all i hear is a little tik, jus once tik, and no clunks anymore

any help would be appreciated
thanks

sx-si

Reaction score
to be honest if you bedded the diff in correctly when it was new it shouldnt clunk clunk at all
they do need a fair bit of maintance too buddy
do both wheels still lock ? try a burnout or a little skid

get the diff off and check it out

Reaction score
A 2 Way diff will clunk noticably on full lock turns and when cold even when it has been set up and run in properly.

J

john

i dont no much about them but a mate of mine has one in a honda civic i no its not the same but it dose make a big clunk when on full lock all the time

Reaction score
It can't have been a 2 way then. By the nature of a 2 way diff the plates have preload set and lock the rears up once power is transmitted which is why they are favoured by drifters. I have never heard a 2 way not make a noise as compared to a 1 or 1.5 way. My 1.5 way, which has been set up correctly and is on the softest setting,still clunks very slightly when cold or hard lock turns

Last edited:
L

luckyali

I was told by the previous owner that there was a cusco 2way diff init, cuz i didnt have a clue when i was test driving the car bout the clunk clunk noise he said its the 2way diff noise.

It stopped clucnking after i drifted init, maybe while drifting i must have damaged it or some hopefully ill get it taken out soon and get it checked.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
The clunking is the wheels (diff) locking and unlocking; if it doesn't clunk then it's not locking.

The "level" of clunkiness, if you can call it that, also depends on the brand, type, and setup of the centre along with oil choice and break in method

P

prego

i have the cusco 2way and it clunks a fair bit especially parking and such its normal don't worry

J

JapanS15

I have a Nismo 2 way and it clunks as well. Mine doesn't do it so much when its cold after sitting all night. It will do it when I'm taking slow turns, but if I throttle it up enough to lock...than the clunk goes away. Another way I have learned to drive is to throttle forward and then press in the clutch and turn. Once pointing straight, I release the clutch and then I won't have any clunks/popping sound. If you're truly worried about it, drain the fluid and see if you have metal shavings/chunks coming out. If not, fill it up with some fresh diff oil and back on the road you go!