Rocker Cover Removal

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi guys :)

Ok a bit of newbie in the engine block department lol so please bear with me!! :wack:

I'm thinking about getting the rocker cover off and doing the 'exchange' deal with Martin @ Littleknocks cos this looks like top quality work :thumbs:

However, can someone explain to me how it all works with removing the rocker cover??

I've borrowed pic above from adz87 lol :cool: so... is it just as simple as removing all the pipes/bolts/spark plugs/coilpacks and then it comes off??

Will this be a good time to upgrade to Metal Head Gasket? If so which brand is best as I don't wanna have to spend too much?!

Cheers,

J

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
just pull all the breather hoses off, remove the 13? bolts around it, take the coil packs out, remove the 10mm bolt in between coil 2 and 3 and find the last little awkward bolt at the back behind the last coil under the wiring loom. you can bend the wiring protector back a little to move the coil loom to one side and then lift the thing off :)

edit: the gasket has a couple of places siliconed to the head so that will stay on the head surface - can be a pain to line it back up when re-fitting but it does go into the groove on the cover eventually

edit 2: nope to head gasket mate, that requires the removal of the whole cylinder head - lots more work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
just make sure aswell when you put the rocker cover and gasket back on its all lined up right and theres no leaks, it can be quite tricky took me a good 40 min to get the rockercover back on after fitting all the new gaskets

Ps the gaskets are rubber so you wont need to replace them when you take the cover off :)

Reaction score
Country
I got new gaskets from Nissan to fit when I refit mine. Didn't cost that much, so I though why bother with the old ones, when I can have nice new supple ones :)
Part numbers are:

13271 - 65FOO inner gasket £6.54 + VAT
13270 - 65FOO outer gasket £9.42 + VAT

I found this on the SXOC helpful too http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=273254&highlight=rocker+cover

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I've just had mine painted and thought I'd have a go myself at changing it, but after reading that I'm having 2nd thoughts :( I try not do anything to testing as I tend to break/mess stuff up.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I've just had mine painted and thought I'd have a go myself at changing it, but after reading that I'm having 2nd thoughts :( I try not do anything to testing as I tend to break/mess stuff up.
dont be silly, its one of the easier jobs to do on the car. you have to start somewhere to build your confidence up ;) just take your time then and dont drop anything into the head :)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
as Dean said dude need to start some where remember if you cock up you will defo know where you went wrong if you need to do the job again just like am not looking to fitting a intercooler when I come round to doing it :p

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
dont be silly, its one of the easier jobs to do on the car. you have to start somewhere to build your confidence up ;) just take your time then and dont drop anything into the head :)
lol. that's me though I will drop something into the head ;)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
just pull all the breather hoses off, remove the 13? bolts around it, take the coil packs out, remove the 10mm bolt in between coil 2 and 3 and find the last little awkward bolt at the back behind the last coil under the wiring loom. you can bend the wiring protector back a little to move the coil loom to one side and then lift the thing off :)

edit: the gasket has a couple of places siliconed to the head so that will stay on the head surface - can be a pain to line it back up when re-fitting but it does go into the groove on the cover eventually

edit 2: nope to head gasket mate, that requires the removal of the whole cylinder head - lots more work.
I found a nack to putting them back on! works every time now. the only annoying part is the metal bracket ad the back of the engine!!! gets in the way!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah Mr Tooley please share before I start this job lol!! :p

Thanks for all the comments/advice guys... sounds like it's not too tricky and believe me, after trying to get damn blasted turbo braided lines at full stretch flush on the block just so banjo bolts grip the thread, I know all about 'lining up' stuff for 40 mins with lots of swearing in between haha :wack:

S15AK - honestly mate without blowing my own trumpet it's a great feeling to take the plunge and get working on the car yourself. I've even surprised myself cos about 18 months ago, I'd never done an oil change on ANY car or even swapped brake pads out etc. But I had enough of dropping the car off and paying to get small jobs done so starting with oil/filter service, sandwich plate and Defi sensors I then moved onto stuff like boost controller, brake disc/pads, turbo gaskets, braided lines, elbow + downpipe etc. I'm still learning but it's taking that inital dive into the unknown that's the most difficult.

Luckily I've got good mates who have always been working on their own cars to help me out but as you go along, your confidence will grow and even now when I get stuck, I rarely have to call a mate cos I can usually work out a certain method to get round problems lol :)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
a would say though dude just make sure you dont thred any of the bolts going into the head cause its alloy its realy soft so stick them in by hand 1st before tightening them right up....i done it though luckely the bolt is right next to another one so it wont leak or that :eek:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
its true - i get as much enjoyment changing stuff on the car and looking after it as i do driving it. its really satisfying to know that apart from the major engine work - the whole car has been done by me :)

go for it, start with the small jobs and before long you'll be doing your own servicing and fitting of aftermarket parts. were all here to help if you get stuck ;)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
a would say though dude just make sure you dont thred any of the bolts going into the head cause its alloy its realy soft so stick them in by hand 1st before tightening them right up....i done it though luckely the bolt is right next to another one so it wont leak or that :eek:
you cant really over tighten them either as they have a tapered collar that bottoms out when its tight.

J

JapanS15

So is a Rockercover the same thing as a valve cover?

All these different names and spelling can be confusing.

Hood=Bonnet
Tires=Tyres
etc...

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
rocker cover = valve cover = cam cover........

there are lots of names for things, but the english names are always the 'proper' names :p

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
you cant really over tighten them either as they have a tapered collar that bottoms out when its tight.

will call you up on that one!! i snapped one on my s14a so yes you can snap them ;) they are only m8 so the torque will not be greater than 25Nm so a 1/4 drive wrench is ideal :D

my trick is to use some vasiline on the rubber haskets so they stick to the cover. install the cover rearward first, make sure that the two rubber dowels are in their slots or it will leak oil. then manoeuvre the cover untill its sits flush, you will feel it slot int ect when it does.

When installing the fixings do it from adjacent corners so the torque is distributed evenly, and work inboard.

J

JapanS15

Yep, because that's where the Top Gear tv show is from. lol Just making sure I was understanding what the thread was about. I also would have to agree about changing one. They are stupid simple to do. If something is connecting it, unbolt or unhook it, pull it off....reinstall in reverse order verifying gasket is properly seated. 80% of everything I've done in the past I have just read and then went ahead a did it on my own. Some have costed me money by breaking things, but the satisfaction of doing everything yourself or with friends is so much more valuable and fun!