Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Folks,

Thinking about upgrading stock gearbox mount with this Driftworks item:

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/poly-gearbox-mount.html

Has anyone done this? The reviews look good and I'm starting to look into anything that'll help make the car feel tight when drifting :)

I'm still not familiar with the gearbox area so is this quite an easy job or do you have to drop the box?! :wack:

Cheers,

J

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It shouldn't be that hard to change. That write up is very good. There will be more noise into the cabin, but it's a trade off like everything on modified cars.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool thanks for the link and advice guys :)

I'll deffo want to be doing this mod as I hate the gearbox moving when accelerating and braking... would be nice to get rid of the slop. Engine mounts will have to wait till I have more time!!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
from what i've heard the driftworks mount is rock hard and will cause lots more noise and vibration.....

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
apex have started doing a softer mount - apex street - little bit tougher than nismo but still liveable. there was just a group buy that finished - all three mounts for 99 quid

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
just fitted the apex gearbox mount yesterday - took about half an hour - very easy job. no nasty vibrations or noises and seems as though the shifters dancing days are over but haven't had a chance to properly put it to the test yet......

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice1 mate - will deffo look into one of these then if it's not too harsh!!

So is it like the link that was put up above... do you just jack up the rear part of the gearbox and then take the subframe off to fit the new gearbox mounts??

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i jacked up the drivers side and put it on blocks, slid the trolley jack under the box and just took the weight of it. then drop it all off and the box stays where it is, bolt the new mount on and refit the brace. literally 30mins start to finish, my apexi filter took more fiddling to fit i think LOL.

Reaction score
ooo keep us posted when you gt chance to test it properly Dean this sounds good :thumbs:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Have you done the engine mounts too Dean? I havent got round to fitting any of them yet.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
not done the engine mounts yet mate, too much like hard work - probably do that over winter when i can leave it in between for as long as i want :)

Reaction score
I have been extremly happy with the Nismo gearbox mount and suprisingly the noise is not as bad as I thought it would be. If you do the gear box mount, I strongly recommend doing the engine mounts as well it enhances to gear changes even more.

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i have the matching engine mounts - its just that they are not a 30min job like the tranny mount ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've booked the car in for MOT @ WGT (where I always take my car for bigger jobs etc) so was thinking of getting them to do the engine mounts as I really don't have time at the mo to give it a go myself :wack:

How long should this take bearing in mind they have a full on proper ramp with all the engine raising equipment etc??

Also will the Driftworks engine + gearbox mounts be way too harsh? Any one with experience of these? Or should I go Apex like Dean has?

Cheers!! :)