What's new

Oil coming out of Dump Valve

R

ross.johnson

does anyone know why my blow off valve is spitting oil????? i have an SR20DET S15 silvia spec- R, and i notice a couple days ago that my blow off valve was spitting oil. its never done it before!! Can anyone answer this????????? I thought it could be the Turbo seals but after sending my turbo to Owen Developments, they said there is nothing wrong with my Turbo or Turbo seals. I have now got a new Turbo made up from Owen developments as i was planning on tuning my Silvia anyway. I also have taken off my dump valve so it's now running off the wast gate. i like chatter :thumbs: I have now spotted the oil dribiling out of where the intercooler is fitted by the turbo. What else could it be? If anyone can help i would be greatfull. :thumbs:

Reaction score
there is a breather that run from your rocker to the turbo area that is the only other thing i can think of.

R

ross.johnson

so if thats it why would that have anything to do with it? could there be a blockage or something?

Reaction score
this can only be caused by excessive blow by gasses, is there any other symtoms? misfire or loss of power, smoke out back? cause if it were me i would do leak down test or compression test if as you say the tubby is pukker. but im a paranoid freak after owning a 350hp civic jordan turbo that would constantly have problems lol

R

ross.johnson

yeah well im a paranoid freeak to mate lol! so in same boat :thumbs: I just want to get to the bottom of this. there is a loss of power but i would'nt notice it as the new turbo has been fitted and it's running off the Actuator @ 0.9 Bar boost and it has not been maped yet. i'm worried about it. give me ideas of what i can look for :thumbs:

Reaction score
what modes have you got on the car?

is the Dump Valve an atmospherial ? not recirc as standard

i can really say anymore.. have a look at all pipes runnnig to the turbo and cooler area and see what you can suss out. cuase if the tubby is fine this the next route. if there was a lot of blow by gasses you could wip of the oil filler and feell for excessive pressure coming from it when you apply throttle. these are just things i would try and if you suspect there a bit get it leak down tested as my civic used to suffer from this and my oil catch can used to fill with oil because of it.

after doing the leak down i found out that cylinder 2 was leaking down by 12 % ans all other around the 6 mark...

Reaction score
this isnt good news if this is the case.. piston or ring failure but with this you nomrally see a blue tint to smoke coming out he back of the car casue it will burn a bit of oil.

have you noticed it using oil?

i couldnt see a blue tint from my exhaust even though my ring was failing.

i could be wrong and dont want to scare you, but this is just the experience i had in the past mate

R

ross.johnson

Well all i know is that the dump valve that was on it was the Bitz super sound blow off valve, if thats any good to you!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
My Blitz Super Sound DV was constantly spitting oil out. After a week, my suspension turret where the trumpet was facing would be almost black with grease and oil. Never had a problem with the running of the car itself so I left it.

But if your's is affecting the running of the car guess it needs to be looked at!!

Reaction score
won't be anything to do with the piston rings engine side of things, think about it how would it get across from the exhaust side to the compressor side of the turbo? i know that its expected to find some film of oil in the boost hoses of most turbo cars as some oil over time will pass the sills or come from the breath pipe. just think why some people run catch tanks. because high powered engines end up throwing more oil out the breather. Where's the location of you BOV if it on the underside of the boost pipe or straight after the turbo ur'd expect more oil to come out of it when it releases the pressure.

Reaction score
won't be anything to do with the piston rings engine side of things, think about it how would it get across from the exhaust side to the compressor side of the turbo? i know that its expected to find some film of oil in the boost hoses of most turbo cars as some oil over time will pass the sills or come from the breath pipe. just think why some people run catch tanks. because high powered engines end up throwing more oil out the breather. Where's the location of you BOV if it on the underside of the boost pipe or straight after the turbo ur'd expect more oil to come out of it when it releases the pressure.
well the breather will spit oil if there is excessive blow by, i said i might be wrong but this is what happened to my turbo civic, it used to fill my catch can and later had ring failure

Reaction score
I'll put my money on oil vapour condensing in the system from the crankcase ventilation. Thats why I run a catch can/oil separator. SR's are pretty tight engines compared to RB's and usually have only a small amount of blow by oil. This amount is conversely affected by higher boost and engine abuse.
If you want to check just pull of your Intercooler hard pipe and wipe the inside of it with a rag. You will get an oily residue from it. It will not affect the performance of your motor as all cars these days run the blow by vapours back through the intake system to comply with emissions. Fit a catch can if you want to stop it

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
^^^ +1

My hotpipe always has oily residue inside... I'm thinking about a catch tank as well soon :)

This is why with all the oily crap going everywhere inside that area you need to make sure the silicone pipe that connects the hotpipe to the outlet of the compressor unit is tight!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
sliding-r, please read the forum rules regarding signature sizes if the replacement sig isn't clear enough. If you change it back again without first resizing it as per the guidelines, you will lose signature rights. Sorry if that sound harsh, but the mods are starting to get a bit tired of people ignoring the rules they agree to when they register.

R

ross.johnson

Thanks TurboAL :thumbs: Whats your name? I'll take a look as i'm not shure with the set up. I don't have a oil catch tank. My s15 was running 287.5 BHP b4 i realised it started leaking oil. The oild looks as if it is being sucked through the intercooler pipes. Where the intercooler comes from the Turbo side, is were you can see the oil, and is where my old dump valve was. I will takw a look so thanks for that info. Woat would you recomend if what you are saying is right? :thumbs:

R

ross.johnson

Do you think its worth buying a oil catch tank? And probs best to check for any kind of blockage in the breather hoses. :thumbs:

Reaction score
Thanks TurboAL :thumbs: Whats your name? I'll take a look as i'm not shure with the set up. I don't have a oil catch tank. My s15 was running 287.5 BHP b4 i realised it started leaking oil. The oild looks as if it is being sucked through the intercooler pipes. Where the intercooler comes from the Turbo side, is were you can see the oil, and is where my old dump valve was. I will takw a look so thanks for that info. Woat would you recomend if what you are saying is right? :thumbs:
My name funny enough is Alan. And no probs, Id check for excessive play in you tubine shaft. as if excess oil is in your boost hosing could be a oil seal in the turbo. however if there's little oil (blue smoke) coming out the exhaust its unlikely to be a worn turbo although still one of the sills on the compressor side could be damaged. i would definatly recommend a catch tank. £60 a worth while investment.

G

GUEST_JDM

im going to put my bets on blow by and general build up of oil from the realese valve off the rocker cover, my mates s15 stright off the boat, had almost .3 of a liter of oil in the intercooler we looked at everything replaced the one way valve in the rocker cover and fitted an oil catch can as we cleaned up the hole car, and the problem never came back although his car had just over a 100,000 kms on the clock and they dont really look after things in japan

R

ross.johnson

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Will invest in a oil catch tank very soon. Whats the one way valve in the rocker cover do? And where is it? If i was to replace this part how much would it cost me and is it easy to replace? :thumbs:

G

GUEST_JDM

its a small black plastic valve top left hand side of the rocker cover has a 12mm vacume hose attached to it. pull it out and try blow air through both sides, just with your mouth and if you can pass air through both sides i reckon you should replace it