What's new

Anyone installed rear brake pads before?

Reaction score
umm thanks Nicely..I think

now I see what you mean :D That's about as helpful as a frontal lobe lobotomy :( At least I'll have all the info I need should I accidently disassemble the caliper by mistake!

I'll try the SXOC site again.

me thinks maybe I donate $50 to the shop on this one!

Reaction score
Thanks Nicely, I needed to register with the SXOC in order to view the pics. I've printed it out and will conquer the mountain this weekend. I'm looking forward to it in a "gees I can't wait till this is done" kinda way.

Reaction score
ok, good news and bad news. Good news is that the pads are in, all done, all good :thumbs: You know, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I took my time, so no time records were set, but do it once do it right eh? I undid the caliper bleed valves and hooked them up to a "one man bleed valve kit", this way when you wind the pistons, all the fluid simply drains out and winding the piston is a breeze - even long nose pliers can do this easily. The big resistance comes when you leave the valve shut as you have to force fluid through the whole system with every turn - hence the pain. So I gave the brakes a quick bleed after the install and now its all good - phew. The only pain is cracking the 17mm bolts, those puppies are on tight - I nearly popped a eyeball undoing those!

ok now the bad news - I got a speeding ticket! me! 99.9% of the time I drive like I'm driving miss Daisy, and on the .1% when I speed, I get busted by the 50 - go figure. I've never had a ticket before. If I sped all the time and got busted, then fair enough. But to get busted on the exception to the rule... :( Now I can't tell people I've never had a speeding ticket - I was so proud of that (and got plenty of milage out of it too :D )

Ok - here's the breakdown. It's 11.30pm, I'm on an industrial back road, there are no cars in sight - except one set of headlights far behind me. So I think, "better make sure my turbo still works" :D , I give it a blip - only for a second, and then - there's a Christmas tree behind me. :eek: The one set of headlights behind me was an unmarked cop car. I am then given the boy racer serve with a side order of "and you wonder why we pick on you guys" :rant: . I love prejudice - one false move and all of a sudden I'm just another punk ripping up handbrakes in the diesel...

chalk one up for impeccable timing :cry:

Reaction score
oh yeah - it was for doing 70km/h in a 50km/h zone - nothing too fantastic.

not, driving through an intersection sideways with one hand out the window and the other on a cheeseburger.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Good work with the brakes :thumbs:

Arse about the ticket :rant: now what its like :nod: The only places I speed are non-residencial, usually national speed limit. And that's where I get them :rolleyes: Speeding tickets are so much a part of driving in the UK that insurance companies don't even take them into consideration unless you get loads of points or a ban.

Reaction score
yeah, I'm the same - I head out to the back roads for spirited driving once in a while and even then, mostly within the 100k limit. It's the old "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it does it make a sound" mentality. Just make sure that moose standing over there isn't a cop :D . The only problem with that plan is that backroads aren't the smoothest and drift suspension isn't the most compliant so they kinda don't marry up very well. I went over a road works trench the other day (these guys haven't cottoned onto the concept of levelling the hole with the road); the guy behind was so close I couldn't slow down fast enough and I nearly opened my sunroof with my head. The Hiper Max D tag line is certainly not "riding on a cushion of air"!

S

Sic15

Hi - I do a few track days each year in NZ ( 4 -6 pa).

I use Hawk HP plus pads front and rear. Once had a track day with hawk pads in the front and a new set of standard pads in the rear. Rear pads were beded in - result - rear pads melted - pads lost 50 pct of materials in one track day.

My set up is now - slotted rotors all round - standard size, braided front brake lines, Hawk HP plus pads all round, 5.1 fluid, Air hoses in front bumper (behind black plastic inserts - drilled the dummy one to create ventilation) - mounted directly on the back of the front disks - backing plates removed and mounting points welded on. Also have a vented carbon firbre bonnet.

Result - once warmed up on the track - brakes are great - no fade plus it feels like you are being sucked onto the track when you hite the brakes.

Selwyn