What's new

grinding and steerin noises

Reaction score
Country
now and then when i put it in 1st or reverse theres a slight grind noise still pulls away fine bt with the noise now and then.and since last night after hitting weston with all the speed bumps the steerin makes some noises to.

any ideas??i have cusco coilovers on the old girl :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Difficult to say... does it come from the gearbox area? Or maybe suspension related if the steering is making noises... what kinda noises??

Reaction score
Country
well when you turn the wheel left and right a fair way it makes a clunky sound if u get me??

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
mmm... when I used to get clunky noises on full lock, it turned out to be anti-roll bar drop links (front ones obviously)...

I'd get under the car and check these first. If not could possibly be CV joint maybe??

Reaction score
Country
well it started after going over some speed bumps in weston lol.
but aint on full lock sort of in random places :( steerin feels fine bt obvs the noise shudnt be there.i did wonder if it was cv joint thow hhmmm

sx-si

Reaction score
proablly a tie rod end
or lower ball joint
or knackered tencion rod (if the bush is all the same colour its normally ok but if its wet its fubar)
i used to have a issue like that for like a year it turned out the stock bushs that clamp the steering rack in place had worn out

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I could deffo tell when my tension rods went on the front... everytime I braked there was a loud clunk!!

And if you get someone to stand outside the car and look at it side on - drive to 20 mph and emergency brake... you'll see the car body move forwards and backwards when the wheel has already stopped?! Bad times!!!

Reaction score
Country
saying that when im parked up and rock it back and forward i noticed its bit boaty like lol.so tension rods it is then lol

Reaction score
Country
no hang on my mate explained something to me and sed its the bearings on the suspension cant for the life of me think of the right part name though haha(must b getting old or something ) ha

like they have dried up.top end bearing isit :S cnt think of it

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
If it's the pillow ball top mounts you can just replace those bits which go between the top of the coilovers and the suspension turret etc. I'm pretty sure you would be able to get these seperately as Tein retail their top mounts as seperate items.

Reaction score
Country
so shall i call a company who supply tein coilovers and ask if they can supply seperatly the pillow top ball mounts :) if you could point me in the right direction il be very greatful mate :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
No worries mate :)

I'm not sure if you can get Tein pillowball top mounts to fit Cusco coilovers... my assumption would be they are designed for specific makes of coilovers etc. Does no harm to ask the retailer though.

I got my Tein suspension and top mounts from Camskill (who are based up north I believe). If you Google search 'Camskill Performance' they should come up. Get in touch with them and see what they say mate.