What's new

Engine sounding like a rotary?

A

Antony

Hey guys,
yesterday i was driving the 200sx up the hill, 1st was fine, went into second and gave it a good boost,
the car then suddenly sounded like a rotar and barely moved anywhere, i had trouble to turn it back round and get it home as i tried accelerating the car barely picked up any revs, once home i tried starting the car again and it barely stays idle, it conks out within seconds, i try tapping on the accelerator but barely even reaches 1,000rpm now, BLACK SMOKE keeps comming out the exhaust,smells of fuel, on my fuel/air mix. gauge, the needle is way past RICH...

flooded engine? blown engine? lost a piston?

:( need help fast as this is my daily car

A

Antony

thanks heapz, you were right, an intercooler hose popped off, ive re-connected it, tried starting the motor, now she wont start :( the started motor cranks, but the engine wont turn over :( i tried pulling the fuel pump fuse out and starting her a few times without the fuel pump to clear the lines, and replacing the fuse, still, not turning, what could be wrong?

Reaction score
thanks heapz, you were right, an intercooler hose popped off, ive re-connected it, tried starting the motor, now she wont start :( the started motor cranks, but the engine wont turn over :( i tried pulling the fuel pump fuse out and starting her a few times without the fuel pump to clear the lines, and replacing the fuse, still, not turning, what could be wrong?
Pull your plugs out they have probably fouled running it so rich. Use some carby cleaner to clean them up.

A

Antony

i'll try that now, except i dont have carby cleaner, what else could i use to clean them up?

A

Antony

reason being shops are closed atm, 6.15pm and its easter saturday lol

A

Antony

SUCCESS !!! just cleaned them up with fuel and a cloth, let the engine breath a bit incase of any flooding of fuel, sparkies back in, started first crank, appreciate all the help man :) cheers

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol Auss15 is the man!!! :D

I popped an intercooler hose (which connected to the hotpipe) after I spent a few hours working on the tubby and complete set of gasket replacement plus fitting new elbow and turbo braided lines etc. 4.00am in the morning fast test drive, 3rd gear, 70+ mph then...

BANG

I've never sh*t myself so much... black smoke everywhere and she was chuggin' like a tractor :wack:

J

Reaction score
Thanks guys, glad to be of help. Thats great it worked out Antony :D :D

On another note its worth checking your Intercooler hose clamps occasionaly as the silicon tubing can compress a little over time and the clamps need a tighten up

Last edited: