What's new

Want to up the power, need some advise please.

Curryzz

Reaction score
The stage im at is i have an apexi air filter,full 3 inch exhaust all the way through,skykine decat pipe, i have splitfire coilpacks and ngk uprated plugs,the boost is standard at the mo and i have just brought, or in the process of buying a walbro fuel pump and am waiting on the arrival of a greddy dump valve(cheers dean), after that i intend on geting a gizzmo boost controller but what kind of power will i get and what kind of boost can i run?i have all the guages to monitor what the car is doing also:nod:

Need to no the basics really as sxoc seem to think these mods on a s14 would take it too 250bhp,hmm :rolleyes: not sure really as thats quite a bit more power on a 14 but then again i here you saying 300bhp is easily achievable for a s15:thumbs:

Paul

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There are loads of threads like this in this section mate, just look through the pages as you will get the info you need quicker and easier. Heres a quick guide I wrote a while ago, but it is only a guide and was S14 based but I've adapted it!

You should get 300bhp on the standard tubby. Some say you can get 320 but there are just so many variable factors. Biggest one of which would be the different Dyno's that people use IMO :)

This is just a general guide for what mods are required for boost upgrades. People have different opinions about this, but If you stick to this guide you should be ok.
This does not take into consideration essential things like suspension, brakes and clutch improvements that will be required at an early stage.

Standard - 0.7bar boost, 250PS
Curb weight 1200–1270 kg

Stage1 - 260-280bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to achieve 0.9 bar boost pressure
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stage 1a - 270-290bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to achieve 1.0-1.1 boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stage 2 - 280-300bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 1.1-1.2 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stage 2a - 290-310bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 1.2-1.3 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Tubular manifold and uprated turbo elbow
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stage 3 - 310-330bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 1.2-1.4 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Nismo 555cc/740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT28RS or GT2871r turbo
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stage 3a - 340-360bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 1.3-1.4 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Nismo 555cc/740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT2871R turbo
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

Stages beyond this will require internal head and bottom end work too..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
NP mate. You should be ok on standard injectors and AFM too for 300ish as S15 injectors are bigger than S14 ones. When you get it mapped they will keep an eye on this for you :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i sent the bov thursday mate, but as its easter might not be with you till tuesday - sorry, if id got to the posties on wednesday half hour earlier it would be with you by now :(

if i were you i'd get in on a intercooler group buy over on sxoc, then fit the boost controller, fuel pump, and take it to be mapped and have the timing set up. should make a little over 300 @1.2bar before maxxing the afm and injectors out. turbos not much good for any more than that either........clutch will be on its limit too but the t28 at 1.2bar really kicks you in the back - great fun, but will run out of puff at about 5500rpm ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'd be putting a front mount on before you start adding more boost and power
Yeah good point, I adjusted the figures slightly!!

Has your car been mapped by H Dev already Curryzz? I seem to remember mook talking about having it mapped to 0.9 bar on the WMIC?? Could be mistaken though.

Curryzz

Reaction score
Yeah good point, I adjusted the figures slightly!!

Has your car been mapped by H Dev already Curryzz? I seem to remember mook talking about having it mapped to 0.9 bar on the WMIC?? Could be mistaken though.

Now that you mention it craig my car seems to be at about 0.9psi is that not standard then, i notice it mostly on the motorway when i put my foot down it boosts too 9.0 psi, should it boost to 7.0 in 6th if its standard then?hmm got me thinking now, mook didnt say anythink about it too me tho, i thought mine was maybe boosting a tiny bit higher because of the decat?

oh and i recieved my bov this morning dean, thanks buddy its very nice,just need my car back to fit it on now lol

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
fitting an open filter and turbo back exhaust will, naturally, raise the boost pressure to around the 0.9 bar mark mate - very common. trick is to not allow it to change too much without having the mapping altered to suit otherwise det may occur :)

Curryzz

Reaction score
good info lads so is the car alrite as it is, im sure its been like this for agis

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
9.0 psi is about 0.6 bar and is standard boost...
Are you sure you mean 9 psi, not 0.9 bar!? Have a search through Mooks old threads and you'll probably find some useful info there.

Curryzz

Reaction score
I no mines defintly psi cause i brought a new guage and thats all it does, so my car is standard boost? Lol im confuzzled now.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
9 psi is around 0.6 bar which, if anything, is slightly lower than standard. With the mods you have the car should be naturally boosting to around 0.9bar/13psi as Dean said

Curryzz

Reaction score
Ah rite, thats a bit strange then, its never been that high, its always felt a bit sluggish in my eyes, il have another look into this when i get the car back, dont think its boosting incorrectly really, cud be wrong,i had a solinoid fail on my s14a and that stayed boosting at 5psi so i new something was up,but this seems fine,i understand that with the decat and so on it should have raised a bit, but 4 psi differance? 9psi-13psi

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol gonna have to say the same old thing that everyone will say: 'check all your boost pipes/vacuums' :)

Also it's ok to fit the boost controller before the remap. I've got the Gizzmo which is an awesome value for money bit of kit... you just set it up so it hits 0.9 and as long as the GAIN setting does not cause it to spike over too aggressively on full throttle gear changes then you'll be ok. Bonus is that boost controller will allow your stock tubby to work a little faster and you WILL feel the difference even if it's set to 0.8/0.9 without remap etc.

Curryzz

Reaction score
Cheers bud,how long ago was that ?prob when i brought it, the car was only on pistonheads for an hour ha

Reaction score
it went on the market but very quickly sold...

i remember the pics and was memerised by how mint and well finished it was, from then on i wanted it but you got it you Bugger!

i ended up going for a low mileage white one with some cosmetical damage and have transfomed it in my eyes. going to get it mapped vry soon as i haqve completed all i want to do with the body and looks for now.

Fitted a FMIC and walbro + Greddy boost controller and now ready to take it to the 300 mark.