What's new

standard to after market steering wheel

Reaction score
Country
how do i keep the horn working after i changed steering wheel from standard to after market on s15. other than installing a push button? por favor,, any ideas?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
nismo steering boss mate, the only sure way to put the airbag light out, maintain horn and indicator cancel, but $$$......

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
HKB boss S15 steering wheel kit ;)

Got mine from RHDJapan although can't remember exactly how much it cost... wasn't too bad. It comes with airbag cancellation adaptor as well as horn connector plus indicator cancellation - pretty much everything Dean has said ^^^^ lol :D

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
good to know, i thought it was nismo that did that....didnt want to pay nismo money lol

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
you just need to connect the wires, the horn wire which is the green and black one connect that to the horn positive button and then connect the negative to an earth.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
on a side note - has anyone ever been brave enough to put a meter on the airbag connections and find out its resistance? that way any old matched resistor could be fitted to cancel the light - just a thought, i dont want to start prodding a meter on the airbag terminals in case i accidentally trigger it off (even if it is unlikely) lol

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
When the airbag light started coming on the other day (now fixed with reset sequence using push button where door closes) I was thinking maybe the airbag cancellation clip that comes with the HKB boss was duff and not working after DWYB cos it was still attached but the airbag light remained flashing etc.

I was gonna put my helmet on and try using a wire to complete a 'loop' on the end of the airbag socket/harness (steering column end). Would this have been a bad idea? I wasn't sure whether the airbag cancellation clip creates a loop or earths the connection lol :wack:

Reaction score
Country
thanks to all suggestions,gonna hav to buy anuda boss kit.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
if you have an airbag cancel connector james, does it have one or two connections on it? where do they go? if they just go on to two wires can you put a meter across the new connector and tell us the resistance value - might be useful in future..... :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Dean - I've got two connections (basically prong like things!!) which sticks into the airbag harness from the steering column side.

So the two prongs plug into the OEM harness and after that it's just a small rectangular white plastic unit so I can't see inside of it. I don't have a meter to measure the resistance :wack: will try and borrow one lol... or buy one cos it's about time!! :D

Ooh just found someone else's pic for another car but the cancellation unit (white plastic thing with tiny black numbers on it) is identical to the one I'm using ;)

J

JapanS15

You install the 2 ohm resistor to keep the SRS light from illuminating. Horn is just just a two wire connection. BOSS steering wheel adaptor kit.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i think japan must be right - thats blatantly just a 1p resistor in a plastic box that they add to the kit to cancel the light haha. be good to confirm it though :)

J

JapanS15

I've swapped mine. If you don't have a two ohm resistor, you can make one out of basic supplies. Google it! :thumbs:

Reaction score
ok will go to maplins and try and get one, btw i think it's a 2.2ohm resistor. What wattage am i getting though?? Also tried to ghetto it and it appears there is no bulb to take out lol

well not unless i wnna stat breaking stuff to get at at ;)

Reaction score
ok i tried a 2.2 ohm resistor connecting both of the yellow wires and nothing happened.

When i used a live current tester, neither of the wires are live is this supposed to be the case??