What's new

Broken my handbrake...

Reaction score
Country
...well kinda.

I have a yashio factory handbrake button on my hand brake and i attempted to remove it to get a colour match for the rocker cover i recently had painted. It was on tight as it covers the oem black plastic button but i tried to remove it regardless and i broke something :rolleyes:

The brake its self works but the ratchet mechanism which hold the brake on for parking doesn't anymore. The hand brake button is now poking out approx 1 inch more than it should too. When i pull the hand brake up with the button pressed in you can hear the ratchet trying to lock in lightly but it doesn't hold the brake on :confused:

Its like i've stretched a spring or something but i had a look at the service manual and i couldn't see anything that could be stretched :confused::confused:

I know the description i've given is vague but its difficult to describe. I also have no idea how to take apart the centre console to have a look for anything obvious.

Can anyone help?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
First off I think you'll need to take the cover off to see what's happened. Unfortunately I've not done this myself so I can only think you need to take the centre console apart to do this - should be too tricky (I say that!!) :)

Next, from what I've read recently, the ratched mechanism only works because of the spring inside - someone told me to remove my spring instead of buying a drift button like the one you got lol :wack: Anyways it deffo sounds like the spring has come loose or is not being activated by the 'stock button in the non-depressed position' anymore...

Reaction score
Country
Hmmm hope its something simple. I'll see what i can do on Saturday then. Reckon that spring can be replaced if its goosed?

Reaction score
Country
Woot! Its now fixed and works better too...

Theres a rod that attached to the handbrake button and it slipped past the piece of metal that works the rachet mechanism :rolleyes:

Was an easy fix and as a bonus the handbrake works by just yanking on it-drifty style- and it works using the ratchet for parking if i pull the end of handbrake button before pulling the handbrake up :thumbs:

For future reference the centre piece of trim comes out by removing two screws under the gear gaiter and by removing two screws in the centre cubby.