What's new

Question regarding maf sensor???

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the maf sensor has a wire like element crossing the internal diameter. Well whilst i was doing some working on the car today (yes in the rain :() and had the airbox and maf sensor off i just happened to look through the maf sensor and was suprised not to find such a wire. Does this mean that i've got a broke maf sensor? car seams to run ok.

Alan

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
MAF sensors have a wire exposed to the airflow, this is how they work. I think they heat the exposed wire and measure the temp drop somehow, and convert it into a reading for airflow!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
on the z32 maf you can see the element on show, on the s15 item you cant see the metering device itself, just a stupidly small hole for the air to pass through to your engine :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
just a stupidly small hole for the air to pass through to your engine :)
Very true. When I took mine off for a clean I couldnt believe how narrow the opening goes! The venturi principle must be hard at work in there. The MAF on my Punto is not far off twice that of my S15, and thats just a 1.9TD.

Reaction score
on the z32 maf you can see the element on show, on the s15 item you cant see the metering device itself, just a stupidly small hole for the air to pass through to your engine :)
O so there not an exposed wire that you can see? all i could see was a slot that went 1/3 of the the way around the internal diameter.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
not entirely sure how exactly the stock one works, but to clean it i think you have to undo the 4 screws on the plastic square top and remove the guts of it....

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, thats right. I was wondering how I cleaned mine when you said you cant see the element but that reminded me, you have to take it apart. Very easy to do though.

Reaction score
Country
just spray the element with contact cleaner, try not to touch it with anything as its very fine wire and must not move