What's new

What type of OIL do you use?

A

Antony

hey guys,
as a new owner of a nissan 200sx s15 Turbo spec-r,
its in due of a service (5,000kms)
wondering whats the best oil recommended?
its stock, only running 10psi, no heavy mods.
ive been told to use:
-Castrol Edge Sport 5w30
anyone dissagree?

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
get in contact with opie oils they will help ya with advice on oils and their prices are good to.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
A lot of people on here use Silkoline Pro S. Thats what Opie recommend too :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i use either silkolene pro s or millers cfs full synthetic 5w40. does the job perfectly imo, standard or tuned :)

V

vti_coupw

silkolene 10w-50 in mine the last time i serviced it very good oil, quietened that damn vvt rattle alot on cold start up and the engine seems to run alot smoother with it

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I'm on the good stuff too - Silkolene Pro-S 10W-50 but no need for 50 if you're not getting her out on track or drifting etc. 40 will be fine :)

Reaction score
Country
I use Silkoline Pro S from Opie. Doing an oil and filter change this Sunday actually as its coming up to 3k miles :nod:

Ive seen some people on sxoc use halfords 5/50 fully synth motor racing oil but not sure if its any good?

Reaction score
5 w 30 a bit thin unless you live in a cold region, and from the fact ur location indicates you live australia i'd be going with 10w 50, Over hear in england i use 5w40 for winter and will be changing to 10w50 for summer but in all respects 10w 50 is only really required for heavier track use. Like others have said silkolene pro s is very good as its fully synthetic and has got a high easter count which gives it very good protective properties, Thats what i'm currenntly using. motul is very much the same and i heard high recomendations of redline also. i've heard not so great things from castrol magnitex as it only a semi-synthetic and people also seam to get alot of vvt rattle from using this oil in a sr20

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I was using Castrol Edge 5w-30, but I have since changed to Mobil1 fully synth 5w-50. I suppose the main point here is use a good oil. Don't skimp and use cheap stuff.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
+1 on all the replies :)

But remember not only is getting decent oil important it's how often you change it to help prolonge the life of the engine/turbo etc.

Peoples' opinions differ - I change mine every 3/4k because I do a fair bit of drifting and track events all year round. If you're using it as normal daily or weekend car I reckon every 6k is plenty enough.

J

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I do mine every 5k. Some people I know say it should be changed after every track day as well.

A

Antony

thanks everyone for their replies :)
Just purchased the CASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30, we'll see how the baby runs on this OIL
by the way, anyone know if NGK Iridium spark plugs are any good? im looking at upgrading, on stock coils

Reaction score
I used Castrol Edge years ago and TBH I felt it was good when fresh but once it had a few miles on it the SR was a bit noisy on start up(similar to Elf oil). I think 5W-50W is a bit high in the weight scale and woudn't go any higher then 40W. The oil galleries are small on an SR so using a light weight oil and changing it below the recommended manufactures intervals, especially if you have supporting mods with higher boost. The Nissan mineral oil that is recommended is a 7.5w-30w. I run a full synthetic 10w-40w and change it at 3K, Motul is one of my preferences.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
^^^^ +1

I'm using the same plugs. Highly recommend :)

Just for reference the BKR7EIX code - '7' is the temp grading and 'I' means it's Iridium ;)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm gonna try good old copper tips next - the bkr7eix's i have are starting to blow out at high boost (1.45) which is a bit of a dissappointment - cleaning them up solved it first time round but this time they are no better, but i've been told that i should of been running 8's on my setup anyway..... going to try bcr8es copper after a few positive recommendations - dont mind changing plugs more often and they are much easier to gap without snapping the tips off :)