What's new

Recirc or Pigeon mod????

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Let the debate begin??

First point i dont want to hear that pigeon mod damages turbos because that only occurs when you run over 1,4 bar of boost and im running 1.0 bar. And every turbo will have stall aka chatter.

So my points are I hate the SSQV sound. I love the Chatter sound. But i want better fuel consumption.

Will a recirc pipe still let me hear chatter?

How do s15's react to pigeon mod? same as a 14 ? i would assume so?

Cheers

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've been trying to read up more old posts about this - really is all over various different old threads lol :D

So what is the SSQV sound like? Is it completely different from the pigeon (which I assume you are also calling 'chatter')??

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
First point i dont want to hear that pigeon mod damages turbos because that only occurs when you run over 1,4 bar of boost and im running 1.0 bar. And every turbo will have stall aka chatter.

So my points are I hate the SSQV sound. I love the Chatter sound. But i want better fuel consumption.

Will a recirc pipe still let me hear chatter?
Hi mate

There is no magical boost figure at which the 'pigeon' mod wont do damage to the turbo. Think about it, your basically forcing air back through the turbo compressor backwards while it is still spinning forwards. Whatever boost your running is going to do it no favours, just less damage. People always call it chatter, but its actually compressor surge and nothing to do with wastegate chatter. If you do the 'pigeon' mod i bet in 6 months you will have a recirc again ;)

Another bad point is the problems people get with having no recirc - the stalling and rough idle etc.

I can't imagine your fuel consumption being much better because of having a recirc valve maybe about 50p of fuel per tank due the overfueling on ease-off. :)

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Yea i agree completly as we both said the same thing in that post with the chap asking about compresser surge. However every turbocharge system will have it but you cant here it due to the airbox NVH. The recirc will lessen the surge what with it pumping air back into the turbo to try in effect to cancell it out. This is somthing we look at in work when we design the turbo's.

My point was that the more load on the turbo the quicker stalling the turbo will damage the bearings so in effect lesser boost will give a longer life compared to a high boost.

sorry for not adding after a remap. Im hoping for better fuel with a recirc after a remap.

I already know that recirc is a much better option. just want to see other peoples feedback.

Last edited:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yea i agree completly as we both said the same thing in that post with the chap asking about compresser surge. However every turbocharge system will have it but you cant here it due to the airbox NVH. The recirc will lessen the surge what with it pumping air back into the turbo to try in effect to cancell it out.
Yeah, definatly, but it's totally different ends of the spectrum. With the pigeon mod it surges and makes that noise almost all of the time, even when your not on boost as the turbo is still spinning, just not boosting. It does get on your nerves after a bit too!

Reaction score
When I did the pidgeon mod for the first day it was a bit ruff and cut out once or twice but after that it was fine! Drove normal with no ruff idle or cutting out :thumbs:

Sounded awesome and got some nice bangs because of the overfuelling too :)

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Thats a good point. As the BOV Sound does my nut in now lol

Whick brings me back to my other question. can chatter be heard with a recirc.

Also craig PM me when your back in the uk as i will defo get my wheels done with you.

Cheers

Reaction score
No not any more, but not because of the noise I just didnt want to push my luck with the turbo

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You can hear it mate, yes. But f**k all compared to the pigeon and only on quick gearchanges where the boost is high. I have the Forge recirc kit from Apex, and it kind of whistles, like the SSQV sound. I'd recommend it, but the only think i dont like is the reinforced hose running across the engine bay. Looks untidy IMO but you get it with all recirc kits. :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Your BOV should not make any difference at idle at all mate. It is doing nothing at idle, same as a recirc valve. The only problems people should get is the revs dropping when they lower to idle with no load. I cant see why you would have effects at any other time.

:)

Reaction score
I have a Blitz DD Dump Valve and get both the pigeon and the dump sound, pigeon on low boost but wind it up and I get both sounds at once its cool. Have been trying to record it to post it as there is so much discussion about it, I will when I get chance to record it and post it here.Also no lumpy tickover and fuel consumption is good,considering the wheels and tires I have fitted.Boost comes on strong between 2,500/3,000rpm and if not careful spins the rears up.

Last edited: