Need Advice - HKS SSQV Recirc Setup

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Alrightee folks,

Due to the fact that my current BOV setup is most likely causing hunting problems with the S15 when idling and... I'm getting well fed up of the chavy whoooooosh noise on every gear change, I'm deffo gonna make the HKS SSQV recirc my next mod :thumbs:

So here' my current setup:

*Blitz BOV welded onto hotpipe (top of where it arches after compressor housing unit).
*Vacuum tube which runs from plenum area piping to BOV (guess the BOV uses this to gauge when to open??)
*Stock recirc looks like it's all still there?! So I think I'm running both BOV + stock recirc.

So do do the job will I have to:

1. Buy or source a replacement hotpipe so it's back to stock form?
2. Remove the stock recirc setup completely?

The bit I'm really not sure about is where to put the new HKS SSQV?? Bearing in mind my FMIC install is Apex Type 2 so half of the original cold pipes leading up to the intake plenum are still OEM items (plain black piping).

Any advice would be great - and sorry to start a new thread but previous HKS SSQV posts seems to be in bits and pieces :wack:

Cheers,

J

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Remove the blitz, cut it off so you can keep the flange + weld the hole closed, or unbolt and put a blanking plate over it.

HKS makes a bolton s15 kit with the SSQV, buy that, buy their recirculating adapter and install - it will replace the OEM BOV.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Dude, I am gettin the recirc for my HKS. All it is, is a £10 adaptor that you bolt to the BOV on the cold side. Buy some silicone piping in the adiquate size and plum it back into your turbo COLD air intake duct.

http://www.hkseurope.com/turbochargers/blowoff.asp

I hate the noise i only want wastegate chatter so its either pigeon or recirc :D

S

S15 SILVIA

Without sounding stupid, what's the reason for changing the standard re circ valve for a hks re circ? Is it purely that a hks one will flow more at a quicker pace?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The standard one is desgned in a way that makes it smooth but causes it to leak boost if you go much above a bar boost. There is a mod you can do to stop it, but its best to replace it with an uprated item if you can.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
One of the guys one another forum I am on said he has modified the original and it was good for up to 100psi, so realistically you don't have to change a factory one if it is modded. I never would have changed mine if I new that before I bought my GFB BOV.

@James, with 2 BOV's in the plumbing, I am not surpised you are getting stange things happening. Get rid on one of the BOV's and see if you still have the problem.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers guys for all the help... I'm gonna have a good look at removing the stock recirc for starters!!

But yeah gonna replace Blitz with HKS SSQV as soon as I have the cash to sort all of this out :D

Thanks again...

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
BTW @ Wing - wouldn't it be easier if I sourced a stock/replacement S15 hotpipe instead of messing with cutting BOV off and covering holes etc?

So is it as simple as ripping out the stock recirc setup currently in place (like that horrible flat plastic pipe that runs across the top/front of the engine block and the replacing it all with HKS SSQV plus any new bits of silicone piping required?

Ta :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Pigeon is when you dont have any form of pressure release.. no bov or recirc. You sometimes get a bit of pigeon with a recirc if it cant recirc the gas quick enough, but nothing compared to having neither.

If you have a recirc kit it comes with that clear reinforced pipe that people have running from one side to the other. You can take out the plastic bit you mention, although I left mine in as the CAS (IIRC) wires attach to it and it looks neat, IMO.

If you want rid of the BOV cheaply, just look for a S14 hotpipe on SXOC or something :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys for all the help... I'm gonna have a good look at removing the stock recirc for starters!!

But yeah gonna replace Blitz with HKS SSQV as soon as I have the cash to sort all of this out :D

Thanks again...
If you just remove the Blitz for now it will still be fine. They only leak under high boost, so if it isnt leaking now, it wont with the Blitz removed :)

If anyones interested I'll find my original BOV and do a guide how to mod it to prevent the leaking. As meddler said, it's good for silly pressure once the mod's been done.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I had a link on how to do it somewhere. I can't seem to find it :( If you could do a how to craig, that would be awesome.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Craig - gonna replace the hotpipe ASAP and get rid of the Blitz BOV!! :)

Tooley mate!! Any chance I can get this off ya next week @ DWYB dude?? I'll give you some cash or beers lol :D

Nice1 thanks,

J

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Right - I'm pretty decided... Gonna first replace the hotpipe with one I'm getting off Tooley (cheers bro!!) :)

Just recapping with this pic again of my setup:

Question is why does my Blitz BOV have that long vacuum tube running from under plenum area to the unit? All I remember is that I replaced the nasty black tube with proper blue silicone one a few months back. Do I need this same thin vacuum tube to feed my future HKS SSQV?

Or does the T-piece at the plenum end need blanking off once I remove the blue vacuum tube?

Cheers

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
The BOV shouldnt really be on that side however there is no evidence saying so. Statisticly most BOV locations are on the cold side of the turbo piping. Im not sure on the pro/cons of BOV location even if there are any. As i dont think it makes a difference.

You will beed that blue pipe for the HKS however only a tiny bit of it as you Bov will be on the other side. It will plum into the back of your SSQV.