What's new

Exhaust Blowing White Smoke :(

A

Antony

Just bought my first 200sx s15

hey guys,
i just purchased my first 200sx s15 2002 spec-r 6-speed manual with 105,000kms,
now when i was driving the car back, an hours worth drive, i pulled up at a set of lights and white smoke started coming out the back, until i accelerated off, where can i post about this issue?
thanks in advance

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi and welcome :)

Do you know if the smoke was coming out of the exhaust? Until you find out what it is, keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels to make sure they dont move.

A

Antony

thankyou

its from the exhaust, what ive noticed is when i drive it, i dont thrash it, i do occasionally hit a little boost, but when i come to a stop, such as traffic lights, and the engine runs at idle, white smoke starts to pour out the back, its got a bit of an burning oil smell to it, but im not 100% sure what it could be. it is also due for an oil change (105,000km mark, being serviced every 5,000kms)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Are you running an after market exhaust?

I get quite a bit of white smoke when I start mine, but it's just condensation.

If ur burning oil it'll have a blue tint to it.

Like craig says keep an eye on ur oil and water levels if ur worried about it.

If the car has not been run for a while it could just be burning crap out the engine.

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
threads merged.

A

Antony

thankyou for all your help,
yeah its got a 3" aftermarket exhaust system,
no blue tinge, mainly just the smell, but it could possibly be just some fuel as the engine was dynoed (as previous owner explains) boosted at 10psi, on an Apexi FC, running Rich...
i'll be keeping an eye out for the oil and water levels either way :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
^^^^ +1

The only time I ever saw thick white smoke and it smelt like acid and made my eyes water like a bitch was when coolant was leaking from the water feed to/from the turbo and I popped the hood to see what the hell was wrong...

ouch!!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I got this about 8months ago, swapped the Head Gasket and has gone away (for now), havent really driven since so dont know if cured but there is no white smoke now. HG looked ok though when i took it off, so may be the turbo, time will tell :rolleyes:

I would have a look in your coolant for any signs of oil/black clouds, I had a little in mine and it was only ticking over in my driveway....

Toby - Yes, water and Oil feed to the turbo, presume most/all turbo's are the same?

T

Toby

Hmm

I am having quite similar problems with my S15

The car runs faultlessly, all temps perfect and doesn't appear to be using water or oil.

On the overun, for exmple coaSting down a hit I get white smoke that smells terrible out the back of the car, when i stop at say traffic lights i give the car a few revs in idle and it clears.

Searching around there are 3 things i belive it could be.

Un burnt Fuel - Car is running .8bar boost my theory is off boost the car is running very ritch?

Valve stem seals - I think this is least likely, as understand burn't oil would be more blue and would happen while accelerating too.

Turbo seals - car has a cat bac,. de cat and down pipe.

I have actually taken the breather off the rocker cover and fitted a small filter for the time being, as understand oil can be sucked from the rocker into the turbo on over-run, but 40 miles into doing this nothing seems to have changed.

If the turbo is infact water cooled is it possible there is a leak to do with that?

Not sure what to check now without taking the whole thing apart.....