What's new

Car keeps cutting out - doing my head in!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Right...

Ever since I've had a remap my car is cutting out on rare occasions but now it's happening more often!!

It's not the remap per se but what is happening is when idling the revs go up and down, up and down like it's having trouble keeping a nice steady idle rpm. The first cutting out issues were limited when it was cold and the engine wasn't warmed up... if I drove at very slow speeds like around a carpark, when I dip the clutch, the revs would drop so low that it cuts out and I lose power steering - very annoying when turning a corner as I can't turn properly anymore and have to stop the car - then restart?!

But since I've had the Exedy twin plate fitted (most likely due to lightened flywheel), this cutting out problem has got a lot worse... even when the car's warm when idling (esp waiting at traffic lights or first started in the morning) again the revs go up and down, up and down for about 20 secs. Then driving around it's ok until now nearly everytime I go fast and then brake hard for junction, dip the clutch and then stop (with left foot still down on pedal), it'll cut out completely and again, no power steering and to be frank it's getting dangerous and pissing me right off?! :mad:

So... any ideas to the problem?? Seems directly related to idling and someone's suggested maybe Idle Control Valve needs cleaning or replacing??

Cheers,

J

sx-si

Reaction score
seen that sort of thing before but theres a few things it could be

me and flikstrr were one of the first people to start using the nistune boards in the uk and came acorss that problem a few weeks after mapping
what ecu you running and who mapped it

the second thing is what bov you running
bov to air normally makes a sr20det hunt (the revs dropping low and high when stopping/stopped)
personally unless its a ricirc its not worth the hassle, pidgeon mod is the same but very irregular

after that its more likely either a temprature thing
what water temp guage you use? (stock isnt worth looking at)

or more likely a dirty afm

personally if its just started ill put 5pounds on it being the map
if a company like apt did the mapping just drive the car there and get them to take a look (normally free)

hope thats some help

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I would go with a clean on the AFM too for starters. A squirt of brake and clutch cleaner does the job nicely. Try not to touch the element though. :)

Reaction score
i had this with mine, cleaned the AFM.... no change...

just raise the idel slightly.... only 200rpm, you won't notice the difference, but it'll stop the creeping and the revs dropping so low that the cut out.
it's only a case of a couple turns on a screw! :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
James i know grecko had this problem... i did take a look at it for him as it could of been an air leak. you knowwhenever there is a vacuum/boost leak in these cars they idle like ****. his would stall on hard braking to stop. try asking him i can remember what the verdict was.

Jay

Reaction score
i have this problem too!! was suggested to me that the fly that was fitted with the twin plate clutch (unknown make but we think its hks) is causing the issue, something about it not having enough mass to hold revs??? dont know myself but this was coming from my bud who runs a 600bhp supra and he has the exact same thing on that! this explains the stalling from rapid slow downs, but the hunting i believe on mine is due to the top end of the exhaust blowing slightly. (going in for this next wk)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok guys - thanks for the replies... looks like useful advice going on here!! :)

This problem deffo only started when I had the Apexi PFC fitted and Pip from WGT did the remap. He's a good mapper so I don't really doubt his quality of mapping. When I mentioned this to him (been back for other things since initial installation and map) he did say getting revs at idling spot on when a new ECU fitted is tricky but he also mentioned maybe the idle control valve could do with cleaning to help etc. I'll wait until my next remap for bigger injectors takes place before I go back to WGT.

But I like the sound of increasing the revs a little as it seems to have worked for a few of you guys.

Can anyone be kind enough to show me how this is done - where is the screw and which was to turn it? A pic would be much appreciated!!

Craig - if this doesn't work then I'll clean the AFM as well mate - I'll try anything to help get rid of this annoying problem. Yes Tooley mate will have a word with Richy just to see how he's fixed it (if he has!!)

Cheers

J

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
PS - it started when I got the PFC fitted and the car mapped (100% sure) and it's got worse when the lightened flywheel was fitted as part of the twin plate clutch kit :(

tooley

Reaction score
Country
James is your exhaust blowing anywhere? as in from when it starts from the block? when my turbo gasket got destroyed my car would idle funny when initially cold started and also when i broke heavy.

I think riches was a small vacuum leak somwhere as it took us ages to figure it out.

As far as changing the revs just tighten the nut on the end of the cable where it attaches to the throttle body.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
seen that sort of thing before but theres a few things it could be

me and flikstrr were one of the first people to start using the nistune boards in the uk and came acorss that problem a few weeks after mapping
what ecu you running and who mapped it

the second thing is what bov you running
bov to air normally makes a sr20det hunt (the revs dropping low and high when stopping/stopped)
personally unless its a ricirc its not worth the hassle, pidgeon mod is the same but very irregular

after that its more likely either a temprature thing
what water temp guage you use? (stock isnt worth looking at)

or more likely a dirty afm

personally if its just started ill put 5pounds on it being the map
if a company like apt did the mapping just drive the car there and get them to take a look (normally free)

hope thats some help

Si - I'm running Blitz BOV which is attached to the hotpipe but the funny thing is that I noticed a few months ago my original recirc is still there?! Do people run both a BOV and recirc?? So I get a whooshing noise but it's not as aggressive as if it was just the BOV (with recirc removed) from what I can gather...

Water temp is still stock mate.

Cheers

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
James is your exhaust blowing anywhere? as in from when it starts from the block? when my turbo gasket got destroyed my car would idle funny when initially cold started and also when i broke heavy.

I think riches was a small vacuum leak somwhere as it took us ages to figure it out.

As far as changing the revs just tighten the nut on the end of the cable where it attaches to the throttle body.
I'm pretty certain the exhaust is ok. I had a gasket blowing a few weeks ago around the backbox area but this was fixed when at the same time I got local powerflow to cut out the middle box and weld in straight through pipe :)

Decat/frontpipe are newish and gaskets have always seemed ok - when I last looked under. Not hearing any blowing noises.

Turbo gaskets were replaced about 6 months ago (also did manifold gasket at same time) - all with genuine Nissan gaskets etc.

So to change the revs I guess I'll keep the car ticking over and turn the screw and listen for it to go up a little??

Cheers

tooley

Reaction score
Country
P.S. James you flywheel is making the car lose revs alot faster than normally. So increasing you idle should fix it. Also the brake cylinder and abs modulator draw power from the engine when used. You have less rotating inertia now with your flywheel hence the car cant power the components at the normal RPM.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure what kinda map mate lol... Is it normal to have both ignition and fuel maps done?

Pip is pretty thorough but I'll ask him next time :)

tooley

Reaction score
Country
yea iknow pip is **** hot i took my rx7 to him to get mapped. just running through stuff they may effect the idle drop.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah Pip has a good rep so I don't doubt his mapping skills lol :)

Cheers Dazz - I'm getting fed up of the chav BOV 'whoooshing' sound... time for a change. Will post another thread about how I go about this!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
How comes mate? Are you upgrading to BOV with recirc as well?

I'll probs get mine off Tooley next Wed since he's coming to DWYB etc... but if for some reason we don't sort it then, I'll give you a bell considering you're only 30 mins down the road for me lol!!

Cheers :)