What's new

fuel consumption

B

baz88

My freind has an s15 spec R and says that it does about 500+km on a tank of fuel. My 180sx type x on the other hand does only 300-350km on a tank. Even though they both have an SR20DET engine The s15 has a 65lt tank and the 180 has a 60lt tank so not much size difference but the s15 get alot more out of it. What is the difference in how they use fuel and is there a way to make my 180sx more fuel efficient?

Just to add 80% of my driving is highway and i still dont get much out of the tank. Im not driving it hard either.

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My S15 used to have about 280bhp @ the wheels and consistently returned about 26-27mpg on a fair mix of driving conditions and style. That equates to 10.5-10.9 litres/100km or 598-621km if it used the full 65 litres. I'd say that your 180's engine is either old and ineffecient, at a monster level of tune or is fecked.

M

maxcreigs

Nissan 200SX Spec S S15 is very Easy boosted, My S15 is running at 192KW with only a few thousand dollars spent. Drops it to nearly 0-100 in 5.0 Seconds!

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Ineed BHP is now out dated and power is now calculated in PS or KW. From a car manufacturer perspective that is.

As for fuel economy, The s15 has a more efficient engine than the 180sx. It also has a 6-speed gear box thus different gear ratio's.

I also assume the chassis is lighter therefore lighter car less fuel consumption.

The ECU map is different to meet the emmssions requirements for the model year etc.

There will be a few internal parts/ vvti tweaks that accumulate to the better fuel economy also.

My Japan spec s14 was good on fuel would get 32mpg on the motorway and about 26mpg combined.
My UK s14a was ****! got about 24 MPG.
My s15 is ok gettin arround 32mpg also even with it running a BOV. however combined is abit low due to it running richer.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Indeed. These cars were originally designed for 100RON Jap fuel. Changing them to a 95RON map fooks-up the fuel consumption. Fuel economy noticeably improved on both my S14 and S15 when I had them properly re-mapped.

V

vti_coupw

mine runs on 95 ron has a dumpvalve and i get 500-550kms MAX thats about 25-27 mpg and thats easy driving i reckon i would be lucky to see about 300kms if i drove it the way i wanted to lol 6th gear is very handy for long journeys though

Reaction score
Country
well if it makes you turbo guys feel any better i would rather only get 550 - 620 and have more fun doing it, as i get more then that but its no where near as much fun, went down the A303 past wincanton in a 560hp viper used about 30ltrs in about 15min... and it wasent getting cained all the time, but once the traffic was out of the way, burn that gas!!

on a side point i had two Japanese guys in the car today it was about 28~C, the aircon was on & they thought my car was fast......:wack:
Would have thought coming from the home of the Silvia they would have known what a fast car was, but hey..

Last edited: