What's new

tire choice?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Depends what style you want. Straight walls or slightly stretched?

205 45 17 on the front and 225 40 17 on the rear would have a bit of a stretch, or.. 225 45 17 on the front and 245 40 17 would have no stretch

Difficult to say though! :)

Last edited:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Well, it's purely personal taste, and depends on what look your going for. I like just a small amount of stretch, but thats just me. Some people have craaaazy amounts!

If your thinking of having a bit of tyre stretch, you may want to consider going a bit wider on the rim width or you'll have skinny tyres.

Jay

Reaction score
im just going through this exact dilema myself as my spec r came with some nasty budget tyres, bought i suspect to get it through a mot!! just recieved my rears yesterday and i went for toyo 235/40/17 (exactly inbetween craig's recommendation i notice haha!). for the fronts i will be going with 225/45/17 toyo's. now i just gotta save up for them.....

V

V-MAX

Hi Guy's
I work a bit with tyres... The two recommendations are quite different on overall diameter so would not only effect the speedo, but also have really significant handling differences.
The S15 spec R should of come standard on 205/55R16 which has an O.D of 630mm. If you inch up to 225/45R17 it's very close with 635mm. To suit your wheels the nearest O.D to O.E spec would be 225/45R17 front 255/40R17 rear, both 635mm O.D.
The wheel widths you mention front and rear won't put any real stretch into the tyre fitment. They are both nearer the middle to lower size of whats recommended. Although tyres can be marked up the same size the manufacturers have a tolerance to work within so you could have a look around and find a narrower tread area tyre that will look like its got more stretch than a wide T/A tyre...

Damn I sound like a tyre nerd, they told me this would happen...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, if you want a bit of stretch you could do with wider rims. If your worried about your speedo going out it's simple to sort out. If you plug your laptop into your consult port with nistune software installed you can alter the tyre size and the ECU corrects the speedo reading.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I've the exact same wheel specs and run 215/45R17 fronts & 235/45R17 rears; no spacers - standard arches and no issues with rubbing etc...

An yes it does look a bit weak :(

V

V-MAX

Yeah, at the end of the day, you can tailer the car to your tastes with some different wheels and tyre combo's... They make big differences to looks and handling.
Everyones different and what works for you is what matters...

Interesting point Craig , about the consult port and Nistune software , I didn't know that.

For info I'm running 265/35R18 rear with 9.5j ET12 and 245/40R17 front 9j ET25 and 25mm spacers.
Ive had to modify the bodywork to suit but I like the wider look

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Interesting point Craig , about the consult port and Nistune software , I didn't know that.

Sorry, I mean Datascan, not Nistune. I'm running 255 35 18's on the rear and the speedo has an equal difference to the sat nav all the way through the speed range now I have sorted that out.

Heres a screen shot I just took..

M

maxcreigs

I think this is depend on you because you can prefer what you like. yet I am giving you advice that 17x7.5 +30 are rare and but they are the PERFECT VW offset for any MK2 or MK3 or even BMW E30 or other 4x100 car.

Reaction score
Country
Good point actually; my speedo is roughly 10% out - sat nav has me doing 100kph and the speedo reads almost 110kph!
there is a good chance you sat nav is not telling you the truth too, i used to have one and it said i was about 7 - 10 kph out, then the cops in NZ started putting up those road side radar systems that tell you what speed you are doing as you drive by and my speedo was bang on, also there is a marking system of posts on one of our motorways, where you set your trip at the first one then after a 1000m see if you speedo reads 1000m and it was.

this is very helpfull
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited:
V

V-MAX

I like the look of that Data-scan stuff... Might look into that.

Yep, GPS is only as accurate as the processor its using to calculate position. It calculates speed from distance travelled in what time by bouncing signals from satellites orbiting the earth, this takes time and you only get what you pay for. A £200 sat nav won't be as accurate as some proffesionally calibrated measuring equipment like Datron Microsat 20hz or Racelogics V-box 100hz system costing £5,000 - £10,000. The more money you spend the more accurate your posistioning, right down to centimetres now.

Craig what else can the Data-scan stuff do?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I like the look of that Data-scan stuff... Might look into that.

Craig what else can the Data-scan stuff do?

Erm.. loads mate! Everything from self diagnostics to fuel trimming, data logging, data scanning..

Here are a few more screen shots..

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
I think this tire thread would be right place to ask this..
Does XL/ReInforced etc. tyres stretch easily?

I have 8.5" wide rim and 225/40/18 92Y XL-tire to get on it, will this go easily?
I have heard that XL tyres have stronger sidewalls and they won't stretch...

And I know that that isn't so much stretch but just wanna know :)

V

V-MAX

Craig, that Data-scan looks great.

Marcus,
For a 225/40R18 the recommended rim width min and max are 7.5 - 9j so at 8.5" your not going to have much stretch really. But you would be fine to stretch an XL tyre, but the fitter may moan at you as it gets more difficult to fit a stiff narrow tyre to a wide rim but it can be done. There is still a lot of scope between tyre manufacturers as to what they consider XL or not. Bridgestones tend to have the stiffest sidewalls...

Oh yeah I notice you are from Finland, I was up there a couple of weeks ago. I love the country, you are lucky to live there...

Last edited:
G

Globalnumpty

I've got Ray Volks GT-N's fitted - same sizes but 38mm offsets (f/r). I've got Goodyear F1 Eagles - 225/45 17s on the front and 245/40 17s on the rear and the fill the arches nicesly...

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
Thanks V-Max :)

I have now decided to buy 215/40 for 8.5" wide rim and 245/35 for 10" wide rim... Will look more similiar stretch.. I will post some pics to my project-thread and ultimate-wheel fitting thread when I get those wheels fitted

S

S15 SILVIA

Craig!
How the hell do you go about fitting an in car Pc like that?
Looks Mint!
Mike