What's new

Question about performance mods

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys!, i need a little bit of advice here.

I currently have some mods done to my engine, the list is as follows:
- 3inch cat back exhaust system with R*SR muffler
- HKS exhaust manifold
- Greddy Front Mount Intercooler Type M
- 550cc Sard Injectors (the car is running super rich but is drivable =P)
- Greddy Emanage Blue

Right now my car is running on 6~7 psi of turbo and i'm on stock spec r fuel pump. Also have a Z32 maf, not installed yet. So my question is, if i put my turbo to 11 psi with these mod i won't have any issues fueling wise?, i still haven't got the chance of mapping the emanage. I would like to go to 1 bar or 1.2 bar, do you guys think it won't be an issue with the stock fuel pump? or would i need to upgrade it? I'm asking bc a friend of mine told me that i can go with the stock fuel pump without any issues. Will i be able to achieve close to 300 whp with these mods?? i appreciate any comments!!!:)

Reaction score
Ditch the stock fuel pump, your injector mods are wasted other than that. You can also get rid of the boost restrictor going to the factory controller, see photo. Where I have the blue silicon hose is from factory a black hose which has a restrictor in it, replace it with an unblocked hose and you will get another 2-3 psi boost pressure for nothing and will take you five minutes.

[/IMG]

Reaction score
Country
Hmm i don't have the factory controller, maybe i can get a boost controller and put it on 10~11 psi, i'll check on that... also the injector came in when i bought the car, so i have been running awfuly rich!! =P

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
what hendo was describing was the free boost upgrade (FBU). If your car doesn't have an aftermarket boost controller, this is a quick and easy mod to increase boost.

here is a link but the pics are missing: http://www.200sx.org/faq_3.html

Reaction score
Country
yeah i understand that part, the thing is that my car runs the hose directly from the piping to the wastegate actuator (no controller) and is only going for 6~7 psi. I know the last owner changed the actuator in the turbo for some reason...

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
sounds strange you are only running the actuator spring. From the sounds of it, your car had a few mods and they have been removed before he sold it to you, especially if you have bigger injectors and nothing else.

Reaction score
Yeah right Meddler that is strange, I would say they had EBC hooked up and didn't want to part with it. Find yourself a bleed valve to plum in, you can increase the boost then to around 14 psi safely then also. But yeah I would say your car has been stripped to sell. Get a hold of the old owner and quiz him and get a tune as soon as just so you know whats happening.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I personally wouldn't use a bleed valve. They tend to boost spike. Either find someone who has the original boost solenoid and put that in or buy a proper boost controller.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
This is just a rough guide for what mods are required for boost upgrades. People have different opinions about this, but If you stick to this guide you should be ok.
This does not take into consideration essential things like suspension, brakes and clutch improvements which will be required at an early stage.

Standard - approx 0.7bar boost, 250PS
Curb weight 1200 - 1270 kg

Stage 1 - 260-280bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to achieve 15psi boost pressure
Super unleaded fuel (>97 RON)

Stage 1a - 270-290bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to achieve 17psi boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Colder spark plugs
Custom remap

Stage 2 - 280-300bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 17psi / 1.2 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Colder spark plugs
Custom remap

Stage 2a - 290-310bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 18psi / 1.3 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Tubular manifold
Colder spark plugs
Uprated dump valve
Custom remap

Stage 3 - 310-330bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Tubular manifold
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 17-20psi / 1.2-1.4 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Nismo 555cc/740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT28RS turbo
Colder spark plugs
Uprated dump valve
Custom remap

Stage 3a - 340-360bhp
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Tubular manifold
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive 17-20psi / 1.2-1.4 bar boost pressure
Front mount intercooler
Nismo 555cc/740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT2871R turbo, 52 trim
Colder spark plugs
Uprated dump valve
Custom remap

Stages beyond this will require internal head and bottom end work too..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, he stripped some things off, but i asked him about the boost controller and he told me it was already off when he imported from japan... anyhow, from the list craig posted, it seems that i have most of what it's needed for 300bhp (i forgot to mention that i have an apexi air filter)... So uprated fuel pump is a must if going to 1 bar (14.7 psi) then?

Reaction score
In all honesty I would not be driving the car too much if its running super rich. Youll kill the O2 sensor,stuff the cat and your plugs won't last. Before you start bumping boost up I would be doing a tune as you will be losing power while your AFR's are so far out

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I agree with Auss15. A tune would be a good start.

One of the first mods I did was the fuel pump and I am running only 10psi. I would say an uprated fuel pump is a must for safety at any boost level.

Reaction score
Country
In all honesty I would not be driving the car too much if its running super rich. Youll kill the O2 sensor,stuff the cat and your plugs won't last. Before you start bumping boost up I would be doing a tune as you will be losing power while your AFR's are so far out
I hear ya, in reality is not running that rich, i have a innovate lc1 on the car, and the afr is around 13.5 ~ 14.0 cruising and 10.3 ~10.5 on full boost, is that too rich???
I agree with Auss15. A tune would be a good start.

One of the first mods I did was the fuel pump and I am running only 10psi. I would say an uprated fuel pump is a must for safety at any boost level.
Hmmm ok, fuel pump is first on my buying list then...from what i could search on the forum you guys prefer to use walbro, but what about other fuel pumps, denso, etc.?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country