What's new

Flywheels and clutches

Reaction score
Killed my clutch after a hard clutch kick (guess was on its way out) and have been doing a lot of research into flywheels.

My question is:

Whats stopping me from fitting an S14 flywheel and S14 clutch on my S15 6-speed?

I know that there will be extra noise etc and people have said it will not fit, but whats the actual reason why it won't fit?

I have heard something about the flywheel bolts being too long, so is this the only reason?

Last edited:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
The s14/s13 flywheel/clutch dimensionally won't work in the 6 speed box, don't waste your time. If you want s14/s13 flywheel/clutch then you must convert to a 5 speed gearbox

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you want to change your S15 fly, it has to be for another S15 specific fly.

S14 clutch kits themselves fit S15's. I've done it and am running one now.

:)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I know that there will be extra noise etc and people have said it will not fit, but whats the actual reason why it won't fit?

I have heard something about the flywheel bolts being too long, so is this the only reason?
They are different dimensions, the starter motor will not engage with the fly, the list goes on. They are just very different!

If you clutch kick it's only a matter of time until you will break the gearbox, or something else along the line. People who clutch kick know this, and just accept it I think.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
S14 clutch kits themselves fit S15's. I've done it and am running one now.
Yes, 100%. Fact! Fitted it myself a few months ago. I'm running a S14 ACT clutch kit now with the standard S15 dual mass flywheel and it is perfect for all round use. Nice pedal feel, progressive but positive bite etc..

One difference between S14 and S15 clutches is the S14 ones have springs in the friction plate to absorb harsh loads as S14's have single mass flys. S15 clutches dont have this as the dual mass fly absorbes the harsh loads instead. It does not matter at all though if fitting one to a S15, makes it better infact I reckon.

It is just the S14 fly that wont fit. If you really want to you could get a single mass S15 fly to replace the standard dual mass, but I wouldnt bother unless you are going to run suilly power or abuse the clutch by kicking it - you will want a paddle one for that, but as mentioned before the box will not take it for long.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you get the S15 dual mass flywheel skimmed before you fitted the clutch?

Right now I'm broke as a joke, so need the cheapest way out. I know people say to do it properly the first time so it doesn't break down the line, but that's not really an option atm.

I think for now I'm just going to get an Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch kit and get the standard flywheel skimmed. Was also thinking of getting an Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit as these are a lot cheaper than the stage 1.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah and if you start clutch kicking again you'll kill the replacement clutch within months so it's not gonna save you money. Either stop drifting or get a proper Hyper Single/Twin plate to take the abuse.

sx-si

Reaction score
Buy my hks twin plate clutch and flywheel then dude i doubt you will weqr it out for a year or 2
500 and its yous

or new s15 fly is 350 (heapest ive found) an clutch for proablly 300+

Reaction score
Guess I'm gonna stop clutch kicking until I have enough money for a proper paddle setup.

Anybody had experience will skimming dual mass flywheels?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You shouldnt need to skim your fly unless something bad has happened in there! Its not a good idea to skim the stock flywheel.
Mine was in literally perfect condition when i did my clutch, but I changed it as a precaution before my remap. The original clutch had about 2/3 material left after 60k.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thats overheating of the fly which means it might be warped. Could be caused by holding it on the bite on hills or a slipping clutch etc..

That kit sx-si is selling would probably be your best bet and like he said, would probably work out cheaper than a stock replacement clutch kit with a solid fly. I wouldnt want to skim the dual mass fly. It's easy to skim a solid fly but wouldnt like to try doing a twin mass.

Reaction score
Honestly there's just patches of shiny blue stuff on it so it will only need the slightest skim. Skimming the dual mass isn't a problem apparently, its how to mount it on a lathe. I've given it to an experienced engine builder shop and will be ready tomorrow for £60.

Reaction score
Got the flywheel back from machining, they took 1.225mm off it. The flywheel was warped quite badly and the surface had a bow in it. There are heat marks in it, but the surface is perfectly flat.

Before:

After:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What were you doing to get it that hot? Or do you think it was like that before you got it?

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is some mild clutch kicking. But for all I know, it could have been in bad condition from the previous owner in Japan.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I clutch kicked loads before my OEM clutch went (and even took it to DWYB). The clutch dies over time but the flywheel should remain ok... my dual mass never needed skimming or showed warping when I (mistakenly) changed it for another entry level Exedy.

I'd say the previous owner prob couldn't drive and put some serious heat into the baby lol...