What's new

Noise when selecting gear

Reaction score
when the car is in idle I push the clutch in and select 1st or 2nd,only gears I have tried, there is a rattling noise, clutch is still depressed with no forward movement. It does also do it when im moving when the clutch is depressed and released. Anyone any ideas.

Reaction score
Country
Hmmm mine does this too but only when i first start it up and only if its been sat for a while. I dip the clutch and select 1st (havnt tried 2nd) and there is a small rattle/crunch sound. Lasts about half a second. After that it never does it again... Clutch pedal makes a creaking sound aswell if i dont drive the car regular. If i drive it often its silent :confused:

Sounds like yours could be the clutch release bearing maybe?

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Does it happen when you step on the clutch pedal, or ONLY after you try to select a gear?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
If there's rattling noise when clutch is depressed then it's likely to be clutch release bearing... if there's rattling or whirring noise when clutch is up and car's moving forwards then it's likely to be input shaft bearing which is what my gearbox is doing.

However, getting noises doesn't always mean the box will go soon... I'm hoping not anyway lol!!

Reaction score
Country
Wing - Mine makes a quick crunch sound not when you dip the clutch but when you select a gear (only tried first). It only does it when its cold.

Say if i select first then move 2 meters forward and stop, then select first gear again it wont make the noise. Its only the first time. I havnt got any idea what this could be!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
worn 1st gear synchro perhaps

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Wing - Mine makes a quick crunch sound not when you dip the clutch but when you select a gear (only tried first). It only does it when its cold.

Say if i select first then move 2 meters forward and stop, then select first gear again it wont make the noise. Its only the first time. I havnt got any idea what this could be!
Are you sure it isnt VVT rattle?

Reaction score
Country
No i dont think its VVT rattle mate. Will try putting it in 2nd gear instead of first in a bit to see if it does the same