What's new

Rear suspension conversion

D

djmasterg

Hi everybody

I am gathering information on rear suspension conversion - I would like to do it with parts like from "d project" or anythnig similar (I heard that d project parts are no longer for sale? - is that true?).
Problem is - i dont know what exactly will I need and - I do not know technical names for them. On ebay you can find some parts from China, but I would not go for them http://i7.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/ee/f1/3913_1.JPG
Anyway - if you look at that photo - you can see all the blue metal stuff - so thats what I am after.
If there is anybody who could help me with choice, naming and choosing correct / not so expensive brand - that would be great.

Greetings
Greg.

Reaction score
By 'conversion' do you just mean replacing standard parts with aftermarket ones?... Like camber arms etc?

D

djmasterg

Yeah

I meant - to replace all standard parts with better ones - not necessarily performance parts - but I assume there is no other option. Those from apex performance - will it be all I need to do this job? Price is fairly low comparing to other manufacturers.
Greg.

Reaction score
the apex ones are well made bits of kit.

they're also the bushed sets rather than the rose jointed, so are maintainance free and quieter.

D

djmasterg

Hi

Thanks for that, last question - it says its for s14 - but I assume the bits are compatible with s15 ?

TO tooley: I am still brand new to this - could you tell me what will I need to upgrade it? Thanks.

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There will be no point fitting all those adjustable arms unless you get a full alignment setup too, not a QuikFit job. Out of interest why are you looking to fit an entire adjustable setup? What coilovers and ride height are you running?

Apex just did a GB on the camber and alignment kits too on SXOC, which finished a few weeeks ago. Might be worth waiting for the next one as you'd save loads.

D

djmasterg

As you might not now, I had collision with post which bended my rear subrame mount brace - and I did not find anythnig to replace it. So I thought -I'll go for suspension conversion and if the car will be off the road for week or so - its worth putting something better than standard parts. Besides - getting parts from nissan would cost me more than from apex.
Next question is - will the car be fit for driving only with rear suspension from apex, or will it need both front and rear converted to it?

Reaction score
You can replace just the rear arms and not the fronts, thats fine, but as craig said you will need the allignment set up properly or it will be all over the road.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
As you might not now, I had collision with post which bended my rear subrame mount brace - and I did not find anythnig to replace it.
Ohh yea, I remember your posts about that minor bump you had. Have you found out what is actually bent yet? I would be suprised if the arms are be bent as the post hit the subframe brace didn't it?

D

djmasterg

Yes, the concrete from that post hit my brace, which sticks a bit out of its mounting point on the drivers side. I assume that this mounting point ( a big scerw sticking out of the arm ) is a one solid part - so I should probably get a new arm to fix the mounting - and get the brace (new one is hard to get - only second hand). Thats why I thougt of getting something more stable, more durable - like apex or d project parts for a rear suspension.
After I hit that post - car is behaving stable - I can feel no pulling and tyre wear is even and stable. Only thing to do would be going for wheel geometry alignement. But I preffer to have everything done before that (so thats why i think of changing to apex kit)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think the bar that you bent is bolted to the subframe via the 2 rear-most subframe mounts (correct me if i'm wrong). Again, IIRC those threaded rods that are used to attach the bent brace are integral to the chassis as they are 2 of the 4 subframe mounts.

If its not been pulling to either side, and the tyre wear is good I personally wouldnt bother changing any arms as it wont noticably improve anything on the standard ride height.
Can you get a new bar from nissan? If not, take it off and get someone to straighten it or make you a custom replacement and get it powdercoated. Shouldnt be much for one of them to be made.