What's new

gasket damaged turbo?

Reaction score
Country
Been working on the car today on my driveway in the rain, snow and cold :wack: got the japspeed downpipe and decat on (the bracket on the downpipe is laughable!!). Anyway onto my dilema... i got the mani, turbo and elbow out and found the gasket looking like this...

The fan wouldnt spin by hand on one side, flipped it over and tried the other side and it came free. There was some of the gasket inside the turbo which ive managed to get out but ive no idea where the rest of it is :confused:

I started putting everything back in, just at the point of hooking the water/oil feeds upto the engine but lost the light and there was ice building up on the windows so i called it a day :down:

Turbo feels ok but im still a bit concerned... What do you guys think?

S

S15 SILVIA

I'd double check again tomorrow if I were you, just to make sure the turbine is clear, and not being restricted. You'd be cursing if you put it all back together and there's still some gasket restricting/fowling the turbine.
Also what do you mean about the downpipe mount? Did you get the one with the flexi in the end?
Mike

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've never seen a turbo ingest a gasket before!! I thought they usually got blown out rather than sucked in. It must have been blowing like a bitch with the gasket in that state!

Reaction score
Country
Turbo definetly seems clear now, cant see any damage to the blades and it all feels solid. Yeah i got the Japspeed downpipe with the flex part but the bracket they welded on is about an inch away from the mounting point on the car! Wonder if they even looked at an S15 before they got it made up :rolleyes: Im gona try bending it over a bit...

Craig - Yeah, im thinking it could have dropped inside the turbo when i was pulling the mani off as like you say they normally do get blown out the side due to the pressure. And yeah it was blowing like a complete bitch!

All ive got to do now is top up the rad and put the intake etc back in. Going to pull the fuel pump fuse and turn it over to circulate a bit of oil before i start it up just to be safe..

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
The material for the gasket is weaker than the turbo blades. So hopfully if it did draw material in then it shouldnt of caused any damage. Like craig said it should blow the gasket out of the turbo even if it sucked it in it would just blow it out trough the exhaust.

Did you have any play in the shaft? since if the material was restricting the roatation of the shaft then that might cause some shaft/seal/bearing damage?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Sounds like it's all clear mate - suppose all you can do is have a good look with a torch... might be worth blasting air through it but you'll need summat really powerful and creating a seal around the rectangular flange might be tricky?!

I was just about to say the top tip before you turn the car over is to prevent the engine to start and only allow the starter motor to help pump oil and water around the turbo system so it doesn't start 'from dry'... I dunno if this was the fuel pump fuse but I was advised to pull the black harness that clips next to the solid metal coolant neck area on the front right part of the engine as you look into the engine bay. Soz - bad explanation but I can't remember what it was I pulled out but it stopped the car from starting lol :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
EGI fuse, ( fuel pump fuse in the engine bay fuse box) Pull this out and no fuel will be pumped into the engine. i use this way to prime the engine/turboes with oil ect prio to ignition. i even do it when i change the oil to flush the oil round.

Reaction score
The gasket would have collasped and fallen into the turbo when you where taking it off. The turbo will be perfectly ok. My gasket went the same way,part of it blew out,which is very common.

Everbody that I have talked to have said the same thing the gasket always blows out,it doesn't get sucked into the turbo

Reaction score
Country
Finally got round to finishing this! New turbo elbow, downpipe, decat and braided hoses. Had some trouble with one of the copper washers letting coolant seep out so ended up pulling it apart again to put another washer in :wack: No issues with the turbo either, gasket must have fallen inside when i was taking the mani off.

Been about 3 weeks since ive driven it due to being so busy at work i just use the company car and of course with the gaskets blowing... but wow id forgotten how well it goes :D throttle response is loads better and the boost has risen from 0.6 to 0.8bar :)

Now to go and fit my coilovers! :p

Last edited: