What's new

Compressor Surge

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
Hey, dont know if this has been posted before but here is my question:

If I have a Blow Off Valve fitted to the car and I still experience Surge, how can I solve this problem?:confused:
I know the BOV is supposed to solve the problem if the turbo has surge but what if it continues to happen after fitting the blow off valve as i know this can damage the turbo by rapidly reversing the spin!!:(

Thanks,

S15Cro

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
thats complete bollox dude. compressor surge does not damage turbo's worst case if you have ceramic turbine then it might shock the fins but it also realtes to how much boost you run. if your boosting at a normal rate say .8 to 1.2 bar you have nothing to worry about. Its only an issue on high boost cars ect.

Personally i prefer the waste gate chatter to the gay BOV sound.

I wouldnt worry about it damaging your turbo.

It cant be stopped the only reason you are hearing it is because you have an air filter attached? if you put the OEM airbox back on you will not hear it. Thats the only reason why you dont hear it on standard turbo vehicles, since the manufacturers see it as excessive NVH noise which conflicts with their targets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whoa!

Compressor surge can kill turbos and should be avoided at all costs

Are you sure you actually have surge?
What is your engine spec and what turbo are you running?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
By surge i think he means waste gate chatter wich is simply air exiting the turbo via the filter, thus no damage incurred.

Reaction score
Country
When you mean compressor surge i guess you mean the noise of the excess air between the manifold and turbo ejecting back through the turbo causing the 'Flutter' or 'pidgeon' noise as its also called ?

Compressor surge is actually something else though many people also call it the same as the fundementals are similar (in that its excess post turbo pressure).

As mentioned you should be fine with a bit of excess air funneling back through the turbo, id only worry when running higher than 1.2 Bar boost or on a non ball bearing turbo.

Reaction score
Agreed
Suspect that the OP doesn't actually have compressor surge at all and is probably missusing the term