What's new

Central Locking Problem (Alarm: Toad Ai606)

wutang200

Reaction score
When I try to unlock my car using the fob, only the passenger side unlocks remotely but the drivers side needs to be opened with the key.

When I lock my car, again only the passenger side locks but not the drivers side.

I can use the central locking switch inside the car on the drivers side door switch panel which locks/unlocks both doors perfectly.

I'm not entirely sure where the actual solenoid/motor/actuator is located but tried taking off the door card but there's nothing there that I can see that looks anything like what causes the door to lock/unlock remotely.

This has been this way since I first bought my S15 Spec R and I've not known how to fix it and no one really knows what to do so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone can help.

After some searching, I've found out that's it's probably a 2 wire motor which has blown and needs replacing but I've no idea how to go about chanigng this as I've no idea where it's located.

Can anyone help?

wutang200

Reaction score
Sounds like no one has done/had this before so once I've got some advice off the SXOC, I'll create a step by step guide with pictures explaining how to do this job and what exactly is required :)

Reaction score
Country
I had the same issue and it was down to the fact that the drivers door has no motor to automatically lock/unlock via the fob. I fixed this with a £10 2 way motor from maplins, took about 1 hour to fit. It really is pretty straightfoward (though i cant remember off the top off my head which wires i wired it into). Just a case of removing door card, fixing motor to inside the door, wiring up and connecting the Maplin's motor push rod to the locks push rod so it can push and pull the rod that locks or opens the locking mechanism.

I might suggest welding the push rod on (will make sense to anyone that does it) as using the screwed on clamps mine has come undone once already but is easily rectified and i just screwed it as tight as it would go again.

*edit - I think i remember now asking the Toad fitter to leave the cables so i can install a motor later, might be more difficult if this hasnt already been done so.

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
In stock form there is no motor in the drivers side door. Only the passenger side.
In my opinion the alarm installer should have installed a motor when the alarm was installed.
Not a very proffesional installation having the FOB just unlocking the passenger door.

There are universal motors which can be fitted.

wutang200

Reaction score
Toad have quoted me £200 to fix this issue lol.

I'm unsure on how to fit the motor. I could try looking at the passenger side and try and copy it for the drivers side.

Reaction score
Country
The motor is an extra you have to pay for when fitting it looks straight forward can you not get a toad motor of eBay and fit yourself if imagine it just plugs into alarm box? I was quoted about 35 extra for the part so your 200 is a bit ridiculous

Reaction score
Country
I have an Ai606 on my car and its the same issue (as mentioned, because only one door has a motor). I got quoted around £50 to supply and fit another motor, the £200 you've been quoted seems excessive. Can probably get it even cheaper to be honest.

wutang200

Reaction score
I've managed to take the door apart to see what the locking motor looks like and how it's wired in but as you can see from the pictures below, it's actually mounted behind the actual metal bit of the door and I'm unsure how to safely take this off.

Even if I do manage to get it off, there's still the question of wiring the new one in. Who quoted you £50?

The £200 is an official quote from Toad. Need to try and find a decent alarm place who will do it for me as I'm not paying £200!

Sent from my Moto X.