What's new

Which catback to go for?

Jay

Reaction score
ok, as title says...

i want to fit a ss catback to my new s15 spec r, am finding it difficult to decide on what to go for and naturaly thort of you lot on here for advice. currently i have a semi rotten nismo system on, but the car has failed an mot due to this.

i would like something that has an excelent fitment, is not excessively noisy and gives those all important performance gains. a decent price would be good too!

thanks in advance! :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Everyone is likely to say different things depending on what they are running! Personally I love the HKS Hi-Power, as thats what I have. Its slightly louder than the HKS Silent Hi-Power too.

Would you be looking to buy a brand new system or used one?

Jay

Reaction score
think i would go for new if the the price is right, but for a high end system then 2nd hand...maybe.....lol

Reaction score
i had a silent hi-power.... perfect system i reckon....loud enough to know it's not stock, not overly loud to make your ears bleed!!!

Reaction score
saw this for sale, it were up for quite a while and he had it up for silly little money at one stage! how you finding it mate?? well done on the purchase. i concidered this car when looking for one in december but opted for a white one in the end with exceptional low mileage.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
another vote for silent hi-power hks - i think its great, very well made being full stainless and not too loud;)

Jay

Reaction score
saw this for sale, it were up for quite a while and he had it up for silly little money at one stage! how you finding it mate?? well done on the purchase. i concidered this car when looking for one in december but opted for a white one in the end with exceptional low mileage.
picked it up for £7900 in the end, no mot (exhaust being the main issue) and in need of a lil tidying up. mechanicaly solid etc... all in im well pleased with it. think he had it up for around 10k last year, and i wouldnt have touched it for that money. its in with my mechanic now getting the once over and mot issues dealt with, cant wait to get it out on the road!

U

udi

Sorry to "re-rail" the thread, but can anyone comment on whether there's any power difference between the silent hi-power and the hi power?

Does the silent version still have 3" straight through the entire setup, or does it have some sort of baffle to make it quieter?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the silent hi power shouldn't have any noticeable affect on output if any, it is still 3" pipework but is full stainless and has a middle silencer as well as the backbox ;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've had both systems and they are the same diameter etc, apart from the physical size of the back box is smaller on the Hi-Power as there is less sound deadning material in it. The midboxes are the same and performance should be pretty much identical I would have thought.

U

udi

Beautiful, so they both have the middle silencer, just the silent version has a bigger backbox with more sound deadening, is that right?

Sounds sweet then.

Reaction score
would having a 2.5" exhaust hamper performance in comparison to 3" ??

as i have a 2.5" trust system atm, as this came on car..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Beautiful, so they both have the middle silencer, just the silent version has a bigger backbox with more sound deadening, is that right?

^^ thats right, but they dont make the Hi-Power for the S15 anymore. Discontinued in 2007.

U

udi

You seem like you know them pretty well, can you tell by looking at it if the one below is a 3" or 2.5"?
It's a silent hi-power.

Also, is the s14 and s15 version the same, or is there a difference (if so what?)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Reaction score
i measured mine, and its 2.5". i suspect its a s15 na system, but not sure whether its needed to be bigger for making 320 ish hp? as this is my goal for now.

i ran 2.5" on a 350hp turbo civic previous, but i wonder if it lags boost much having slightly more back pressure

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You seem like you know them pretty well, can you tell by looking at it if the one below is a 3" or 2.5"?
It's a silent hi-power.

Also, is the s14 and s15 version the same, or is there a difference (if so what?)

Thanks again
Is it definatly a silent Hi-Power? The back box doesnt look long enough and the tail pipe looks wrong, but its hard to tell at that angle. Does it have 'Silent Hi-Power' etched onto the tailpipe? Looks like a 3" system but cant be sure from photos mate :)

S14 ones are different. They dont have the rear hanger on the back box, and I think the system is a slightly different length due to the cat.

i measured mine, and its 2.5". i suspect its a s15 na system, but not sure whether its needed to be bigger for making 320 ish hp? as this is my goal for now.

i ran 2.5" on a 350hp turbo civic previous, but i wonder if it lags boost much having slightly more back pressure

3" would obviously be better. If you want to run 320 on the std turbo I dont think you could do it with a 2.5". May be wrong though!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
doesnt look like a silent hi power - the flange on the back box is a regular two hole gasket type on that one and on my genuine one has a compressed ring type fitment.......

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
^^ We are way too geeky Dean! :wack: Its bad how I have developed the ability to name the brand and model of tyres from looking at the tread pattern!

Is that exhaus from ebay? I remember seeing some on there that looked like the Silent Hi-Power, but they werent.