What's new

wheel spacer question after fitting coilovers.

Reaction score
hi guys,

fitted my apex gen 2 coilovers today with little bother till the end after fixing the rear on went and did fronts all went on fine. put the wheels on and the tyre rubs the base of the spring where the spring adjustment is.

went to halfords to buy some spacers, saw 3, 5 and some 9 mm spacers, i thought 5 would be plenty and took them home fitted them and no problems seemed to be good amount of thread for lug nuts to grab onto wheel studs until the last lug nut!

the thread felt as if it was stripping so took it off and it appeared it has, looked at the stud and the thread looked ok but the nut could be ****ed.

was just wondering what the limit was for wheel spacers with standard studs?

The wheels rang well after but the one nut worried me and im concidering going back and buying the 3 mm spacers. not sure if that stub was slightly shorter than the others, but will check in the light in the morn..

some help would be much appreciated. the one dogy one is held on but not tight atm..

car behaves much better on the coilovers though :nod:

Cheers, Tom

Reaction score
5mm is the limit for slip on spacers, after that you need hubcentric.
Are you using alloy wheel nuts? If you are they are easy to strip if your not careful

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm using 5mm slip on spacers from halfords and dont seem to have any problems, i just make it good practice to check the wheel nuts for tightness from time to time ;)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you have stripped a nut I would be tempted to fit longer studs to be safe. They are cheap and its easy to do. I am running 5mm Eibach hubcentrics on the front with longer studs too.

How to Guide

Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys, i have stripped one of them and they are lug nuts- they dont just sell one nut i dont think and there new bloody nuts rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

longer studs are starting to look like there on my agenda,

where can i get some from?