What's new

Removing rear wiper

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, i want to remove the rear wiper for a few reasons:

1: I never use it
2: the wiper blade i have is at the end of its days
3: it looks wank :nod:

So is there a particular knack to do this job or can anyone point me toward an idiot proof guide/how do?

Also, is this the best solution to fill the hole left in the glass:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/moonface-rear-wiper-hole-cap-30mm-50290

cheers.

T

tripleJs15

There's a guy on here that used the moonface peice, said it fit well last time I spoke with him, years ago!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Can't remember exactly how I did this but I did it lol!!

It's pretty easy... think you can start by pulling off the cover around the centre point on the rear wiper from the outside. Once this black cover/sleeve is removed then you just take off a nut IIRC and the rear wiper pulls off with some force and wriggling moves (!!).

However, I stopped at this point and have not removed the rest. The Moonface plug is your best bet once the whole lot is taken off :)

Reaction score
Country
Finally got round to doing this just now.

Pulled off the black cap on the wiper arm to expose a 10mm nut which needs to be removed.

The wiper arm is on splines so needs to be wiggled off. I used a flat head screwdriver to lever the arm from the splines.

There is a large metal washer holding a splined rod from the motor and rubber seal onto the glass. My one come off easily with a spanner to slacken it then fingers to take it off the rest of the way. I reckon the nut is 23mm but i used a 24mm spanner and it worked fine.

Once the washer is off, pull off a metal plate and a rubber seal as they won't fit through the hole in the glass.

Inside the boot there are 3 10mm bolts that hold the wiper motor onto the car body. These need to be removed. The two bolts at the rear of the motor have clips which will need prised off too. Once the bolts and clips are removed the motor will be free; so disconnect the wiring plug, tuck it away and jobs a good un :thumbs:

I measured the hole and its 30mm so the moonface bung is one -expensive- option or you can grab a rubber bung/grommet from Maplins or B&Q.

S

S15 SILVIA

My god, what a con that moonface grommet it!!!
£14, are they joking.
Surely get a 30mm blank grommet from a electrical supply or car shop for about 99p!

T

tripleJs15

I bought a rubber 32mm tapered plug, looks like a wine bottle cork, paid about $0.47 looks and works great, water and air tight, no sealer etc needed.