What's new

Changing/overfilling 6MT gearbox oil from top, step-by-step?

U

udi

Just wondering if someone could post (or link me to) a step by step guide on how to go about doing this? I'm looking for something noob-friendly I guess. :)

I want to change the fluid in my car to Motul Gear 300, and I want to run the 2 instead of 1.8L as suggested elsewhere for making shifts a little smoother. Do I need the car on a stand / hoist to do this, or can it be done at home? I like the idea of draining via a drain-hole and then filling via the top from the shifter if at all possible.

I have a reasonable mechanical aptitude (can change oil / coolant / bleed brakes etc) however have never done this before... would be willing to purchase any tools needed to do it right.

The car has a genuine 27,000k's on it and therefore shifts beautifully as-is, however I would like to keep it that way (and if it could be better I'd like to see it).

Appreciate any advice
Udi

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Jack the car up on the driver's side only, so that it's leaning on the two passenger side wheels, then fill the gearbox :)

if you're dead set on going through the 'top', check out the useful links to Nicely's "short shifter install" guide - take out your shifter and then fill it from the shifter hole :)

U

udi

Okay, so I presume the fill hole is on the driver's side, is jacking the car up (on that side) enough to be able to get under it, and to the fill hole? What's the process for filling it from there, do you need tubing and a pump of some sort? I'm failing to see how to feed 2L in via gravity that's all.

Also, whereabouts is the drain hole, can I get to that easy enough as well? I presume it'll be easier than the fill hole.

I've read nicely's short shifter install guide before, however just going to the website now (it's the jull.co.uk right?), the page doesn't seem to have any text. I vaguely recall running into some confusion about cutting away a piece of rubber or something like that. I like the idea of draining the car from the bottom, and measuring in exactly 2L from the top via a funnel, but open to changing my mind I guess, especially if the top way is a pain.

U

udi

http://www.jull.co.uk/index.php/s15-tech-guides/c-short-shifter.html

I've gotten to this step:

After I cut the zipties off and remove the boot, and then remove this circlip holding the yellow bushing:
http://www.jull.co.uk/images/stories/guides/c_shifter_13.jpg
And get to this point (hopefully):
http://www.jull.co.uk/images/stories/guides/c_shifter_14.jpg

Does the shifter then just pull out? Is it as easy as that?

And once it's out, and I can see the hole
http://www.jull.co.uk/images/stories/guides/c_shifter_19.jpg
Does the oil go into the middle hole, or around it?

Appreciate any thoughts, should be easy for anyone who's already done it I presume.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
You can use a pump to get it in the fill hole.

There's a circlip that hold's the shifter in, pop that out, out comes the shifter, and add oil into the middle hole - if you go around it you'll pour oil onto the ground :p

Reaction score
how did it go mate, the oil change i mean.. its high on my agenda to do this and want to overfill like you have.. im wondering if the lean of the jack will allow enough space to fit the 2litres in ther with a pump just on fill hole?

Cheers, Tom

Reaction score
Jack the car up on the driver's side only, so that it's leaning on the two passenger side wheels, then fill the gearbox :)

if you're dead set on going through the 'top', check out the useful links to Nicely's "short shifter install" guide - take out your shifter and then fill it from the shifter hole :)

will you get 2 litres in if you lean on passenger wheels and pump it in??