What's new

Misfire but now working again

Reaction score
yesterday my car randomly started mis-firing and only running on three and made car shake. i could smell fuel inside the car. called the AA and waited for 2 1/2 hours and decided to try and start it again, and strangely it was absoluty fine again.

so i decided to leave and called the AA off, they said they would take under a hour initially when i called them then another hour was bolted on when i rang back to see where they were but they still didnt turn up after 2nd hour. wasnt the happiest with thrm. they have given me a cheque for £15 though for inconvienace WOW! so i wasted over 3 hrs of my life. :furious:

but was wondering if anyone would know what it might be, had James (lupixs15) suggest coil pack. the car is fine now been out in again today. but i did go thrrough a massive puddle the nite before it messed up.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Classic coilpack symptoms without a doubt. It'll be fine for about a week and then do it again, and get more and more frequent.

If you want a 2nd hand one, pm LK_Drifter as he has some spare ones for sale.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, just the one. Theres nothing you can really do about them failing, its not worth worrying about, just change them if/when they go. Chances are its the one nearest the bulkhead too :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Possibly. It's pot luck if another one will go. You could always sell it again if you dont need it.

Reaction score
Do what I did, get rid of all the stock ones and replace them with Split Fires. Have never had an issue since :D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I cant imagine it would do it any good mate, avoid it if you can. If you turn it off for 10mins they normally kick back into life.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Personally I wouldn't drive her when misfiring dude... surely it's gonna do long term damage if you end up driving more than a few miles etc?!

Hope you got the replacement coilpack ordered and sorted... chat to you next week mate :)

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't drive her when misfiring dude... surely it's gonna do long term damage if you end up driving more than a few miles etc?!

Hope you got the replacement coilpack ordered and sorted... chat to you next week mate :)
yeah i agree with you mate its just i dont want to have to wait for the AA again lol.

im not sure whether to get some aftermarket coil ie. splitfire or just buy oem.

im not to sure about second hand cause surely they could do the same in a month time.

Splitfires are expensive but might save me alot of ball ache, and i do do quite a few miles, this problem wouldnt be good 100 miles from home.

Just been to the cinema and has been snowing here but only a little, went to a deserted industrial park on way home and did some drift, very slow mind it were very slippery but it gave a good indication of the cars drifting characteritics ;)

What day is good for you next week, i have managed to track those stock looking skirts down but will wait to see you if your interested in my drift style ones and maybe a swap might be in order for your stockers mate.

B

barnes

sorry to interupt on the thread but how much would a coilpack be for a sr20de would anyone know?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
TBH if the price difference is big then I'd just get OEM item and replace the one single failed coil pack. In 2.5 years of ownership mine has not failed (touch wood!!).

I can meet up Wed or Thu lunchtimes mate so will speak to you Wed morning (as long as you can pick up calls to your mobile) before I drop round... yeah a swap might be in order as long as the skirts you have are ones I'm looking for etc :) Will also bring round wheel for you to look at etc.

Cheers

N

Nisblue

If they start misfiring a long way from home remove the coilpack cover and press down on either the coilpack itself or the bolt that holds it in. Should get you running back on four again most times. Might need an allen key to get the cover off.