What's new

Fitting driftworks harnesses

Curryzz

Reaction score
hi,just wondering if people could show me where they have bolted there harnesses? mine are 4 point,my old ones were 3 point and they were ok but new ones are proving harder to fit as im struggling with places to bolt them:thumbs:

Reaction score
Got a pic of the harness? I have the takata unit and had to make one mount for it on the seatbelt side. The rest bolted in with the eyebolts.

Curryzz

Reaction score
I can take a pic today if you like, do u have your rear seats still in? I lifted up my rear seats and used the rear seat belt mount for one eye bolt and there was another one under the rear seats too i used, but like u said one dosnt fit on the seat belt side did you try and get smaller threaded eyebolt?thats what i was guna try look for today? :nod:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Mate - had the exact same problem lol :)

The 3 eye bolts are easy - as you say the one goes in the door side seatbelt location, the other two around and under the stock rear seats but the fourth is a problem!! For some reason the thread location for the bolt that goes into the tunnel side seat rail is smaller than the other locations.

But maybe this was done on purpose as it's not safe IMO to fit one there as the angle for the lap belt going around the tunnel side is not correct if you use this location.

You'll have to buy one of those plates which has a threaded thick nut welded on and get a professional garage/bodyshop to securely weld this on the outer side of the tunnel so you can then put the last harness bolt on. Must be on the outside cos you don't want it coming off in event of an accident!! Even with the prop shaft underneath there's enough room to get this welded on without taking anything out apart from the interior trim in case it sets on fire with the heat from the welding?! :wack:

Curryzz

Reaction score
ok buddy,its a rite pain in the ass,i was going to take a trip to RS a company iv found that sells them(eye bolts)it looks like a can get a 10mm threaded one from there:)so u think it wont be safe doing that or is it just that the harness wont sit rite in the seat?cheers for ya info on this:thumbs:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Here are the backing plates. Me and my mate fitted a couple to his EK9. We didnt bother welding them in tho because we were lazy, just wound the eye bolt in till it bottomed out and it wasnt going anywhere. If it was my car I would have it welded in though and sealed up etc.

:)

sx-si

Reaction score
Here are the backing plates. Me and my mate fitted a couple to his EK9. We didnt bother welding them in tho because we were lazy, just wound the eye bolt in till it bottomed out and it wasnt going anywhere. If it was my car I would have it welded in though and sealed up etc.

:)
yep thats what i usewd in my old compition car

word of warning ( LOOK underneath before you drill)
i found out the hard way after killing some fuel lines and break lines

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ouch sx-si!! Bet that wounded ya :(

Curryzz - I'm not an expert on harnesses but the impression I got from other people's advice is that it's best to seat the left side lap strap at more of an angle similar to the right hand side which we are both using the original seatbelt location for etc.

If you also think about it, using all 4 points which bolt into the car itself and not any part of the seat means in event of an accident (touch wood!!), if the seat + rail was to ever move on impact, at least the harness will stay where it is and hold you in. As said I'm no expert but this is just my thoughts on the subject.

I know it's a PITA to get the backing plate welded on the underside but it really isn't a big job and any decent welder can do it. As Craig has suggested, plenty of sealant around where the hole's been cut and plate welded onto just to prevent nasty rust developing as it's very exposed to the elements :thumbs:

At least those plates are cheap as chips... I got mine from Driftworks :)

Curryzz

Reaction score
i managed to get two 10mm eyebolts, as you say, the angle of the belt itself is not as good as it could be but im going to just see how i get on with it. Thanks for all your info :)

sx-si

Reaction score
Why bother welding them in?

just drill the hole then screw together then tighten them up really tight with some mole grips and a long thick screwdriver
and before you go saying thats dangerous its not if you use a spreader/ large washers to pinch the floorpan/ gearbox tunnel

also ive had some really bent skylines and 200sx's to strip and ive never seen the seat move from the floorpan

had a r33gtst that took out 2 lamposts (one with the underside of the car) the floor was bent up 10"s on the drivers side and seat rail was still boltd in

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i've got 3 points in mine and the lap straps are bolted to the sides of the seat frame and the shoulder strap is bolted to the rear strut brace. i thought about the strength of the strut bar in a collision but i cant see it being too weak to take the strain, besides if an accident has that much force the airbags will trigger before you end up too far forward.....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I'm sure the rear strut brace will be fine mate... don't suppose anyone can be 100% certain it's 'the best' place unless a rollcage is fitted and every harness bolting location is pretty much on some part of the cage lol?! :wack:

Reaction score
Country
I dunno about the strut brace idea guys, there just tubular aluminium the majority of the time and whilst thats great for small side to side strut movements i would think that a persons weight amplified by the force of a collision would be more than enough to snap or severely bend the thing- mashing your head against the steering wheel and or dash.

Wouldn't bet on airbags either as i'm pretty sure they have a shelf life of approx 10 years.

When it comes to safety i wouldn't take risks.

just my 2p :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Dont know if this has been mentioned but is it safe to use a four point harness with stock seats? I mean by putting the rear straps through the gap between the head rest and seat back.

Curryzz

Reaction score
yeah dont think its really that safe mate,mine are now in on the standard seats but going for dif seats this yeah anyways so thought id go for it :)

Sender

Reaction score
Country
I had the same problem with fitting my harness

I drilled out hole in transmission tunnel with 10mm drill and used 7/16x20 UNF tapp