What's new

Tomei Poncams

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Would there be any advantage to fitting a set of Poncams to a mildly tuned SR20 running a GT28 at 1.3bar? And would another remap be required if fitting them?

:D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Always seemed like a good mod to get more horses at the top end but with that you sacrifice low end pick up...

Although this is not from personal experience so I'd like to see what other people who have these fitted say on this subject :)

Believe 260/265 is a mild upgrade??

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Do they cause a fair bit of power loss down low then? I overlooked that point.

Also, do they alter the exhaust tone at all, especially on tickover? Valve springs too, would they need upgrading?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure Craig mate - all I know is that cams tend to be designed and sold to raise power/torque at the top end cos under tracks/racing conditions, that's where drivers like to keep the car (high rpm etc)...

But as with everything, you change something for gain at one end and it can alter the other end so in this case, only from what I've read, upgrading cams tends to make the engine less 'driveable' at the bottom end - you'll prob find it slightly less responsive and idling/tickover can also be more 'lumpy'.

No idea about valve springs and change of exhaust tone although the 'lumpy' idle will make idling sound different lol!!

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Poncams are 256/256 @ 11.5mm lift and are a very good choice, especially with your mods. And yes you'll need to rempap/retune the car to suit.
For Poncams, springs are recommended but not a requirement.
Downlow torque loss isn't all that noticable and it's well worth the top end gain and better "revability" (if there was ever such a word hehe)

Exhaust note will change and you'll probably love the sound :D All in all you should be very very happy with the poncams :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Damn! That sounds like an expensive post!! ^^ :)

They sound perfect for what I want. What valve springs do people tend to go for if upgrading them too? Are there any other bits worth changing while the cams are out? /I assume the head has to come off to do the valve springs?

Thanks for the info guys :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just been having a look and the 'Tomei Poncam Type-A Valve Springs' look like a good option I think

Reaction score
Iv'e had the Tomei Stage 1 Poncams fitted for the last 4 years and they are fantastic for mid range to red line pull. Where the stock cams start running out of puff at 5.5 RPM the car keeps punching to 7.2RPM.

With the Stage ones I didn't replace the springs and have had no issues so long as you stick to the stock limiter.

I still have good response down low,but I'm still running the T28.

I would recommend them to anyone who has made other power mods to their SR :thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
excellent cams these, i have them fitted with tomei type a springs and auss15 took the words right out of my mouth, the 5.5k drop off is no longer there and it will pull hard to redline. there is no real delay in pickup or lack of low down torque at all, but i'm running a 2871r so cant directly compare it to the 28. if it was me, alongside the cams i'd fit some valve springs (type a's or brian crowers-cheaper), a set of rocker arm stoppers while i'm in there for the sake of 50 quid as you will be making full use of the rev limiter:nod:, if you are intending to take the car further in time then you could consider speccing and fitting an uprated head gasket of your choice (i'd avoid cometic) and screwing the head back down with an arp kit..... then it will all need the cams running in for a short period, re-timing it up and re-mapping to suit.

you're at the top of a slippery slope now mate:rotfl: one thing is bound to lead to another.......

beware jap prices at the moment, a set of poncams comes in at 500 odd, springs 250 odd, driftworks sell ras kits for 50 quid, gasket are over 100, arp kits are over 100......then theres labour/mapping. this may help you choose what you want to do:thumbs:

oh, and you'll get a slight cammy idle, but nothing that noticeable or lairy, they are mild cams.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hahah!! Sorry James ;) You know you love it though really! At least we could buy 2 sets at once to save 50p on the shipping!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the input though, ^^ very helpful indeed. One of my mates back home has a VXR astra with something silly like 440bhp, and the noise that makes on tickover is crazy! :wack:

I think I'd be keeping my S15 long term if I do go down this route! The only thing that is stoping me geting a 2871r is the weak box being destroyed by the extra torque, and really don't want to loose the 6 speed. My thoughts are, if I keep the 28, everything will be ok! :D (hopefully!)

Reaction score
I think I'd be keeping my S15 long term if I do go down this route! The only thing that is stoping me geting a 2871r is the weak box being destroyed by the extra torque, and really don't want to loose the 6 speed. My thoughts are, if I keep the 28, everything will be ok! :D (hopefully!)
Thats the main reason I have kept the 28.
I have watched numerous mates over the years including DCoghlan, upgrade to the 2871/GTRS to end up blowing the 6 speed and then going through the expensive alternate box route.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
haha yeah looks like a great mod and look forward to seeing how yours goes before I get it done... I've got to fork out for upgrade injectors, another remap, ARB's, rear wide fenders, large rad with electric fans before I get to the cams!!! :D

I'm deffo going down the Z32 gearbox conversion... just need to source the Z32 box first which is the hard part as manuals seem pretty rare. Wanna get this done before I hike the power beyond 330 bhp etc :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I dont know when I'll get round to doing it yet! TBH, it'll probably be towards middle of next year as I'll want to do the injectors and AFM too, and possibly a few more bits, but undecided yet!

I just dont know how far to take the headwork. If I just do the cams then thats all good, but if i decide to do the springs aswell, then it would be rude to not use an uprated HG and ARP bolts etc at the same time, but its a lot of work, and I intend to stay on the stock tubby so it might not really be worth it.. :rolleyes:

Do you have a rad yet James? As I have a brand new Apex ally one that I don't need.. ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice1 dude :)

haha are you tempting me with more of your goods? ;) I'm deffo interested but not sure cos of wanting electric fans as well - take it they don't come with leccy fans??

I've spoken to Radtec and they can supply one with the fans attached so there's no fitment issues and heard the quality of stuff from this company (based in Cannock) is excellent as they've done V-mounts and all sorts for RX-7's (including Andy's white FD).

J

jhinchy

im running these cams with a HKS GTrs@1.2bar, great power, all the way to redline. 360bhp. On a road car, and have had no probs with the 6speed box.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I know yea!! Think they'll be on my next JDM order :)

Not going to do the springs though at this stage. Going to wait until the heads off to do them as it seems like too much work as I don't drift and won't be bouncing it off the limiter etc.

What exactly to the rocker arm stoppers supposed to do? I've not looked into them at all yet..

Dean.. Do you have thread in the members rides section about your car? I was looking for your spec list and remember reading it in your old for sale thread, but can't find that thread anymore or a build thread :)