What's new

R33 Brembo Bolts for S15?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
So went to fit my new R33 GTR Brembo calipers this weekend and ran into an issue my brake upgrade thread.

From everything I read the standard R33 skyline bolts can be used for this but then I went to bolt them on they clearly cannot.

As you can see in the photo below the shank on the R33 bolt (clean sliver one) is twice that of the S15 bolt (dirty black one).

This leaves about 10mm of shank sticking out the back of the hub mount and a wobbly caliper.

Just wondered if anyone who has done this can tell me what bolts you used or how you got them on the car?

Im tempted to take the bolts I have to a machine shop to get them to take the threads down more, but I'm not sure of the implications of this as it could effect the strength, not something I want on my brakes.

Reaction score
i just purchased some without a shoulder on at all. :)

taking the thread down further is another option though.... as now i think longer and harder about it all, the shoulder could be their to aid the caliper for "self aligning".

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Taking the thread all the way back should not be an issue becasue there is no thread inside the hub attachments, only in the caliper itself, so I cant see the issue with what you did.

Where did you get your bolts from out of interest?

Reaction score
Country
The black S15 bolt looks to be a finer thread than the silver R33 one.
Don't try and force in the wrong thread into the caliper, or you'll cross the threads, and then much swearing will follow.

Put the threaded sections of the bolts together and see if the threads mesh together or not to determine if they are different.

Edit: Also, if you do have to buy more bolts, don't just go to B&Q or somewhere, as I'm pretty sure high tensile bolts are used in the calipers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just a local shop, they sell bolts of all sorts of pitches etc.

can't remember at all what they were though.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
The black S15 bolt looks to be a finer thread than the silver R33 one.
Don't try and force in the wrong thread into the caliper, or you'll cross the threads, and then much swearing will follow.

Put the threaded sections of the bolts together and see if the threads mesh together or not to determine if they are different.

Edit: Also, if you do have to buy more bolts, don't just go to B&Q or somewhere, as I'm pretty sure high tensile bolts are used in the calipers.
Its ok mate I'm aware of all this.

The skyline and silvia bolts are indeed a different thread which is why I have not just reused the original bolts in the first place.

My new bolts are OEM skyline bolts as like you I would not trust any old bolts to hold on my brakes as I'm sure they are strengthened in some way.

Thanks for the info though :thumbs:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
just a local shop, they sell bolts of all sorts of pitches etc.

can't remember at all what they were though.
Ok cheers mate.

Ill try getting the threads extended before I go down the new bolts route.

S

StarletRick

if you can be bothered to drive there is a place in chadwell heath that will almost certainly have what you need. its next to the station. they have every type of bolt imaginable.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Managed to get hold of some bolts now from the guys who rebuilt my calipers.

When I spoke to a guy who works in a machine shop he advised not to cut the bolts thread back as it could weaken the bolts.

Cheers for the help guys.