What's new

Exedy Hyper Twin

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Just ordered an Exedy Hyper Twin as my regular single non-paddle Exedy has been cooked... only after 5 months lol?! :wack:

Too much clutch-kicking tut tut :D

Got quite a good deal tho... Twin plate kit for the price of the single cos WGT who deal with Exedy said they were out of stock with the singles (original choice I was going for) so I get more for less it seems!!

Just wanted to gauge opinions on what this clutch is like and bearing in mind I've got stock dual mass flywheel, will I notice much difference with the Exedy flywheel??

Cheers,

James

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
it will introduce a little vibration at certain revs off throttle, and passes a bit more vibration through the car in general but its still acceptable. i have the single which i'd imagine uses the same flywheel and thats a great clutch, very useable.....

Reaction score
Its going to be a bit stiffer than the single and I won't put money on the life of the Dual mass once its fitted. IMO if your going to replace the clutch, do the flywheel as well.:nod:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
afaik the hyper series is a cluth kit including clutch, cover, flywheel, new bolts and release bearing. thats what came with mine.....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers for the comments fellas :thumbs:

Auss15 - think you misread what I put at the top lol... the kit I'm getting will include the flywheel which matches the Hyper Twin... was only mentioning that I have dual mass at the mo so wanted to compare the difference between that and the new Exedy flywheel which will be fitted at same time :)

Dean - never realised you get a new release bearing with the kit... bonus!!

Wing - will get some pics before the guys at WGT fit it on the car (which should be this Thursday)... as per last time with the clutch going I've got too much going on before Christmas to do it myself cos I know it'll take more than couple of hours and still don't fancy dropping the box on my driveway with the car only raised to the height of axle stands lol :wack:

Reaction score
Exedy Hyper Twin as in..

twin plate?

Most forums dont recommend a twin plate if you're into clutch kicking alot. The general consensus is that they put alot of strain on the gearbox when clutch kicked.

I personally have never had a problem with my ORC twin plate and drifting, but I very rarely clutch kick or handbrake.

Daily driving is a bit of a f*cker at first, but ya soon get used to it. Stopping in traffic on a hill in the pouring rain is a bit interesting though, well, pulling away afterwards is! :wack: I used to run cheapy cheap rear tyres though.

Last edited:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
That isn't the pic for an sr20 as that pressure plate is a pull type... I was after a pic of it for an sr20 to make some comments on :)

PS - hope you know that this clutch kit won't fit your gearbox conversion plans

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
That isn't the pic for an sr20 as that pressure plate is a pull type... I was after a pic of it for an sr20 to make some comments on :)

PS - hope you know that this clutch kit won't fit your gearbox conversion plans
yeah which is why I'm now ditching the idea... think I was getting paranoid about any S14/15 box replacement being too weak lol :wack:

I'm gonna wait and see how it goes with this clutch kit... if the box does go then I'll go for one of these options:

1. Rebuild.
2. Rebuild with stronger aftermarket gearset (converts to 5 speed cos there's no direct replacement for S15's - will also need an S14 box to do this).
3. Conversion to S14 box.

Not gonna toy with the idea of RB/Z32 boxes anymore - too much hassle and taking stock, I don't exactly run 400+ bhp at the mo haha?!

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
other than rebuilding, all the other options require the same amount of parts to convert, and if you get the right kit you'll be able to keep the s15 clutch kit you buy now :)

clutch kicking and shift locking will send the loads into the drivetrain the same so there isn't really any difference in 'shock' with those two drift tricks. if anything, shift locking is easier on everything as you're not on the loud pedal unlike dancing... i mean clutch kicking :D

M

martinbattye

the stress a clutch kick puts on all components is rife.. a certain type of clutch cannot lessen the blow to the tranmission without a high percentage of slippage... and since the idea of a CK is to light the tires this would be pointless..

imho.. youve killed your clutch in 5months from slightly slipping it on CK. hence the fried plate