Checking turbo area for leaks.. how?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've had some problems since I fitted my turbo-elbow (I think it started then).
It had started to leak somewhere and I get the tractor sound when revving.
Not fully sure if it's the dump-pipe or the manifold which is creating the leak.

How can I tell without ripping the turbo and stuff out?

I guess it's the turbo to elbow gasket. But it looked fine when I fitted it :confused:

When the car comes back from the car show I'll completely remove the elbow and have a looksie.
I'll also see if the flange on the elbow is uneven or something.

Can't really think of anything else to check.

I've tried to locate the leak with the hand. But it's hard with the viscous fan blowing air averywhere and the manifold and turbo gets hot really really fast.

What else can I check?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Did you use a proper Nissan metal gasket or a shitty foil covered cardboard one?

It'll be very different to pinpoint it without taking the elbow off to see if it has scorch marks on it. It could just as easily be your turbo gasket going...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yako, where did you get the elbow from??

I got mine from Creasey and am told (you know who you are) that they will be ok, the gaskets that is.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I used the stock gasket. The elbow came with a gasket to the front-pipe. But that one is fine.
Could I have damaged the gasket when I removed it?

I'll take the elbow off and have the gasket exchanged for a new Nissan one. If that doesn't do the trick then next on my to do list is "operation getting turbo off"

it would be easier if I knew where the leak is. removing and refitting the stuff around the turbo is very time-consuming :(
I'll try to get my mechanic friend down to the garage for a go at it. But he's pretty busy now helping his brother with this

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
I didn't say that, did I? :confused:
:nod: for the front pipe and elbow gaskets

Working on that thing Yako must be fun, especially when it slides off the road and hits the wall :rolleyes: :p

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Nicely said:
I didn't say that, did I? :confused:
:nod: for the front pipe and elbow gaskets

Working on that thing Yako must be fun, especially when it slides off the road and hits the wall :rolleyes: :p
They havn't driven it yet. They are building the engine :wave: . huge V8 twin turbo
The last car they had came second on the King of Europe drag event. A midnight purple Pontiac Lemans.
This one won't be slower :)

S

S15R

i had my dump pipe on not long ago

id suggest you to use a new nissan gasket costed me 50AUD just a gasket.. ouch but worth it, IF leaking.

i know the noise you are talking about its normal, ive checked all joints if it was leaking but couldnt find any

aftermarket dump pipes are much thinner than stock, so it makes more noise.

btw aftermarket flange = thinner so you'll need shorter bolts or washers so the bolt wont bottom out.
mine was leaking alittle so i had to put 2 washers on the top 2 bolts, this happened to alot of ppl i know

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I must have been having a bad day when I said that. :rolleyes:

As S15R has said, only Nissan original gaskets should be allowed to touch the turbo. They are full metal gaskets, not the ones made of metal lined card. These include the manifold to block gasket (fooking expensive), the manifold to turbo gasket (the one that usually goes), and the turbo to elbow/dump pipe gasket.

I've got no leaking sound whatsoever and I'm running a tubular mani, SS elbow/dump pipe and HKS front pipe.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
S15R said:
btw aftermarket flange = thinner so you'll need shorter bolts or washers so the bolt wont bottom out.
mine was leaking alittle so i had to put 2 washers on the top 2 bolts, this happened to alot of ppl i know
I'll try that. :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ordered up my Metal turbo - elbow/dump pipe gasket on Sat,. picking it up on Wed, hopefully fit it then :thumbs:, if access allows :rolleyes:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Darnit.

I removed the elbow tonight and the gasket and it was fine. No leaks there.
So now I'll have to check the manifold to turbo gasket, and if that's alright, the engine to manifold gasket.

I'll invite a fellow 200SX/Silvia owner first for a second opinion. Maybe it's like S15R said that it's supposed to sound like that because of the thinner walls on the elbow.

In that case I will be very happy.... The car roars very aggresively when going full throttle in a tunnel *shivers* :D

I'm getting pretty good at swapping turbo-elbows now. 2 hours removing and refitting it with some small jobs on the side :)
This is with the turbo still on.

Edit: Could I cause any problems running the car if there is a leak?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It shouldn't normally make tractor noise. If it did, mine (which includes the tubular mani) should sound worse. The noise is quite distinctive and is symptomatic of a leak.

S

S15R

try tighten it again after a week and so

make sure the front pipe and the cat is tight
i made sure mine was tight but after a week it was abit loose, when it got into shape, tight it up again just a tick

Reaction score
Bolt everything up... get a hose pipe (not to long) and hold it near the gaskets... then listen for the leak or smell the pipe for exhaust gas...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yakozan said:
I'm getting pretty good at swapping turbo-elbows now. 2 hours removing and refitting it with some small jobs on the side :)
Fancy fitting mine tonight?? :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Yakozan said:
Fancy fitting mine tonight?? :wave:
Buy me a plane ticket and I'll come over. I also need lots of beers to be able to do ut ;)

Do I add stress to something by running the car with this leak?
The getting pretty warm here in Sweden now, and I don't have AC in the Golf :cry: