What's new

Apexi Induction kit?

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Hi,

Just wandering if the Apexi air filters are washable? if not what do you guys recommend I clean it up with?

Cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I washed my old one and it was fine mate. Used washing powder in a bucket of hot water, then rinsed it thru lots, and left it to dry in the garden!

Reaction score
apparently true i wasnt sure for definate but i found an argument for oiling it and not, but it is a dry filter as standard and not for washing but as for oiling or not, the type of care you give it would be your choice.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Why shouldn't you wash them? I washed mine and it was totally fine, just cleaner!

Reaction score
i think its something to do with water when its left to evaporate it leaves deposits which in the paper filter along with any trapped dirt ingressed into the element may do more harm than good, although probably bollocks maybe but its a good one:D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha! well that sound like the sort of thing people will say, but realisticly if it cleans it and remains undamaged then I dont see the problem whatsoever.
Takes ages to dry out properly though, and a new filter from nengun is peanuts anyway :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
BTW, if you do wash it, dont oil it like the K&N ones as it will possibly get onto the AFM and cause it to give dodgy readings

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Thanks guys... but confused as what to do now? :( how much is a new one anyway?

Might just take it off and give it a good vac out or something..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Think of it logically, a clean filter that has been washed is going to be better than a dirty one.
IIRC it was about £30 for a new one with gaskets and new bolts etc.

S

S15 SILVIA

If it is a cotton filter, you will be able to wash and re oil the filter.
Paper elements are disposable, but i wouldnt have thought that they sell aftermarket paper filters!
They are usually cotton, foam, or mesh etc
Cotton filters should be cleaned with the correct detergent, and coated with the protective oil spray, the oil itself adds a fine layer to the filter which helps with the filtering!
As weird as it sounds, when i have used a k&n cotton cleaning kit in the past, it actually recommends to do bout 80,000 before cleaning as the dirt on the filter acts as a filter! lol
Surely they would tell you to use it earlier, so as to make money!