What's new

Rim size front bigger and rear smaller question.

Hi guys.

Is it safe to drive in the following rim size configuration.

Front 235/40/18 8.0J offset 22

Rear 255/40/17 9.5J offset 15

Notice that i using rear 17" , front 18".

As i feel lazy to change my rims.

So i go drift in this config, but not sure if it safe to track in this config?

Any advice from experienced trackies and drifters?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
The lower the car on the front and higher the rear the more oversteer the car will be prone to. The higher the front and lower the rear then it will be prone to understeer.

Most different size wheel setups ive come accross have been lager/wider rears then smaller/thinner fronts.

Cant really comment on your situation. However i cant see it making much difference. Since your rear tyres are wider than the front.

Anyone else car to shed any light?

sx-si

Reaction score
yeah its fine doing that i used to run 18" on the front of my s14a and change width and size all the time on the rear depending on grip levels i wanted / needed

aslong as the tyre sizes are same for say front or back theres no issues

tooley
the main reason i think would promote any under/ over would be because your changeing camber and toe with diffrent sizes on the rear
but if his car is alligned like that it should be ballanced and i cant see why it would make much diffrence unless its extreme

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
why would you want to set the tracking up with 18's on the front and 17's on the back? Fair enough if your going drifting then this wouldnt be an issue.

I rock 17's all the time, then swap out for 16's on the rear from time to time when i go drifting, no problem at all.

I either have 205/40/17 or 215/40/1 on the front, and 205/45(sometimes 50)/16 on the rear or what ever I can get a hold of, but for daily driving I use 17's on the back too.

For information though, S-Bodie's suit a larger rim on the rear to the front. Its something Iv came to release, My friend has a PS13 tuned to rather high PS figures, He's rocking Work Emotions with 255/35/18 or something on the back and 225/35/17 on the front, IMO.. 17's up front, 18's on the back all day long.. just wish I could afford 18s for the back :p lol.

If I wer you, get rid of that 255 tyre for a 225, stick it on the back, job done.

thanks for the feedback guys.
coz i was just afraid that it will be dangerous to drive a larger rim in front and smaller at back for track as no one done that as it looks weird but i am getting old and lazy.
It works fine for drift practice. But when i want to track, the tire sellers say it is dangerous.. but ask them why .. they cant answer me. haha

not sure will it affect the braking efficiency?