What's new

Timer or no timer? That is the question!

J

Jono

I'm worried that I'll bake my turbo if I don't let the car run-on after I've driven anywhere. So I have some questions...

Firstly, should I be worried?

When should I let the engine run on? after short runs, long runs, hard runs, soft runs? What are 'the rules'?

How long should I let it run for (if at all)?

Should I just install the turbo timer that came with my car, knowing that it invalidates my Thatcham 1 status on alarm?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Right. Firstly the TT. Depending on the alarm you have, a TT won't work with it. A alarm won't set and immobilise an engine whilst it is running. This means that the car will be unprotected if you leave it with the TT running. Certain alarms have a facility to allow a TT to run in conjunction with it. These will set the alarm and when the TT stops the engine, immobilise it. Unless you have one of these alarms, you will find yourself having to wait for the TT, i.e. why bother fitting it? You should also be aware that leaving a car unattended with the engine running is actually illegal in the UK.

Regarding turbo care. The reason you should leave the engine running after certain journeys is that the turbo can be very hot. Leaving the engine running means that the turbo receives a constant flow of oil and water which will help it cool down. Turning the engine off immediately when the turbo is hot can cause the oil to cook and bake within it, leaving a hard residue. Over time this will build up...

When to leave the engine running is usually dependent on the type of journey you have just made. I very rarely leave the engine running because 95% of my journeys end with a 5-10 minutes at sub 30 mph speeds where the turbo spools very little. This is more than adequate to allow the turbo to cool. If your journey involved higher speeds leading to a quick end, you should leave the engine running. If it was a steady journey of, say 60 mph, 1.5 minutes would be fine. If you just razzed the arse off the car, 3 minutes is good.

J

Jono

Surely that deserves Sticky status?! Very concise and extremely helpful answer :notworthy:

Thanks as always Nicely! :D

D

Derek

I've a tt but even then after a hard drive i would give car more time sometimes.. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I am my turbotimer :D
Have a Greddy one fitted, but not connected.

I take it easy when approaching the target location. Then fiddle with stuff and exit the vehicle before turning it off.

But lately I've been looking at the Apexi tt. But mainly because it has lamda reading.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I dont have a turbo timer, i just do what Nicely has said, although i make sure at least a mile from the house i driv slowely with virtually no boost, then let it sit for a minute :nod:

A

Anubis

does the apexi TT work with the factory alarm and immoboliser?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'd be very surprised if it did. Its usually the alarm and immobiliser which has to allow a TT to work with it...

Welcome BTW :wave:

Reaction score
Dont worry bout it! the quicker you kill the turbo the quicker you can buy a bigger one!!!!
The apexi one works wit all the autowatch alarms (tried and tested!)
Otherwise do wot i have done... get an alarm with a built in turbo timer! that way you now its not gunna conflict wit the alarm and immobiliser... and you can lock the doors and let it run... also has remote start... to warm her up so i can get in and drive!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thats only good if you remember to leave your car out of gear :nod:, i always leave mine in gear

Reaction score
Ive hooked mine up properly, so it wont remote start if the bonnets open and it will only start if its in neutral...

D

Derek

Channie is it a clifford? I have a viper. Remote start and tt. Love the remote start keeps frightening the shite outta people cos if i press it again the car will turn off.. Mine will try and start in gear tho..