What's new

SR20DET engine oil pressure too high ?

T

TC

Hey everyone,

Been having an issue with my S15 where the engine oil filter has blown off 4 times.

I initially had an aftermarket oil filter fitted after an oil change and it drove for about 500kms before it blew off. Screwed it back on but it blew off again on startup.

Bought another aftermarket filter to get me home.

Changed the oil again and fitted a genuine Nissan filter however that blew off on startup.
Refitted the aftermarket filter that got me home which had done about 300kms.
Engine idled for 30mins and car was driven for about 5kms without a problem.

2 days later, drove out the driveway and the oil filter blows off again.

Removed the Greddy sandwich plate and fitted another genuine Nissan oil filter.
Car has again idled for about 40mins and driven for 5kms without a problem.

Not sure if it's going to happen again or if it was the sandwich plate that was causing the problem but the threads on the sandwich plate are 100%.

Engine oil has been topped up each time and oil level is 100%

I do have a Defi oil pressure gauge fitted and before I had this issue, distinctly remember it showing approx 1.0bar @ idle when warm and approx 4.0bar on startup.

It is now showing approx 5.0-5.5bar on startup and 2.0bar @ idle when warm.

The pressure sensor for the oil pressure gauge is now tee'd off the factory engine oil pressure switch, in place of the sandwich plate that has been removed.

One thing I forgot to check was what the peak oil pressure was each time the filter blew off, possibly a sticky oil pressure relief valve that spikes the oil pressure and cause the oil filter to blow off.

Just wanted to know what everyone's gauges are showing as I have a feeling mine are a little high.

Facts:
Engine and oil pump are standard.
5W-30 grade oil used.
Both aftermarket and genuine filters have blown off. (Correct part numbers)
Oil filter blows off when car is coldish (oil pressure still fairly high).
Greddy sandwich plate has now been eliminated.
Oil pressure seems a little high.

J

jonny b

i had the same problem after i fitted a sandwich plate and oil cooler to thr car,removed it and the prob was solved..

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
why would a sandwich plate cause the oil filter to blow off? i fitted a cheap r-spec o-pot and its never even leaked let alone blown off:confused:

if the filter wasnt done up properly i'd expect it to leak, if the plate wasnt on properly i'd also expect it to leak but to blow off......????

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Sounds odd to me too, are the threads stripped on the block where the filter screws too? Seems like the only explanation I can think of.

J

jonny b

you would want to be carefull,,as too much high oil pressure=crank seals will **** themselves

T

TC

Threads on both engine block and sandwich plate are 100%

Which is why I have a feeling the oil pressure is a little high.

Can anyone confirm my memory of the oil pressure being approx 1.0bar @ idle when warm as being normal ?

J

jonny b

when car is hot and ticking over it should be around 15-20 psi which is 1.1-1.6 bar

Last edited: