What's new

Standard Tyre Pressure

S

S15Kenpachi

Hey Guys

Just a quick quetion really. I have been trying to work out the tyre pressure i need for my wheels using the fromula in the useful threads post. However to do this i need to know the pressure required in the standard wheels which i am unable to find anywhere.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the standard tyre pressure required for an R-Spec aero.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Check the sidewall of the tyre. That will give you the max pressure. The tyre placard tells you the recommended pressure is about 28-32psi (from memory) but I run mine at 40psi. It depends on if you want a soft compliant ride (30psi) or performance (40psi).

Before people go on about having tyre pressures up that high, I have been told by tyre technicans that running higher pressure in road tyres gives better response due to stiffening the sidewalls at the expense of ride comfort and doesn't wear the middle of the tread pattern as was the case with older technology tyres.

J

jadatis

re-calculating tire-pressure for non standard tires

I looked at the formula topicstarter mentioned.
But my Excell-spreadsheet is better.
http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Recalculating tyre-pressure
in this map always take the newest spreadsheet, and there are examples placed too.

The spreadsheet works with the formula of the ETRTO wich gives higher advices then the TRA-formula.
So I placed warning for that.
You dont kneed the advice-pressures from the plancard, somewhere on the car, if you dont want to know the normal-use advice pressures, wich most car-manufacturers nowadays dont give anymore. Without that it gives an advice for maximum use ( Heavy) and Vacation use ( with towbar-load). And you can give your own import but that is dangerous because you dont know what weights there realy are on the axles.

If there are questions or you find some bugs, tell me here.

I am not a fan of using maximum pressure of the tire. The tires wont get warm enaugh to have the best grip, and the filings come out of your teeth, in case of normal use.
That is why I introduced the load-percentage.
If the actual load on the tire is lower then 85% then the load for wich the pressure is calculated, then the rides get bumpy.
So see that you keep that actual weight between 85% and 100%, then you have a reasenably comfort ride and still enaugh grip.
The lower the load% th lower the fuel consumption, but this is not a straigt line. I think under 85% it becomes marginal.

Last edited: