What's new

Drifting wheels

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but bit of a noob here.

Anyway getting the car soon, and want to do a little bit of drifting in it -so just brushing up on knowledge and research. So looking for a set of new rims.

I just want to get some cheapy ones for the moment, but what size etc should I get for drifting? Would the standard ones of 16 x 6.5 45 be fine if I come get some for cheap?

I suppose that you can drift on any sort of rim/tire, but just checking up!

Cheers lads :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
The ones coming on your car will be fine mate, mine has the same 16" stock alloys on it and ill be using them :) I used to try and drift my RX8 which has 18" wheels with 235 tyres on the rear and they spun up easily enough without any of the torque the S15 has!

Reaction score
Cheers mate.

Think is I'm going to buy new wheels anyway, so should I just go for some OEMS or go for a different size?

Cheers

H

Hotrodstu77

I used to use stock wheels with cheapo tires and it was good at first but the more you get into it the more feel and control you will want. So start leaning with some easily replaceable tires and maybe even buy someone used stock tires. Then when and if you wanna keep doing it and your tire budget gets bigger go for a really nice tire crank the pressure up to 90psi and get some good light 8 inch wide rims with a 235 tire and your gonna love it. Hope this helps. Drifting is sketchy at first but keep at it and you'll get good.

J

jspecv20

I used to use stock wheels with cheapo tires and it was good at first but the more you get into it the more feel and control you will want. So start leaning with some easily replaceable tires and maybe even buy someone used stock tires. Then when and if you wanna keep doing it and your tire budget gets bigger go for a really nice tire crank the pressure up to 90psi and get some good light 8 inch wide rims with a 235 tire and your gonna love it. Hope this helps. Drifting is sketchy at first but keep at it and you'll get good.
90 pounds!? are you serious?

I've ran up to 60psi purely to make extra smoke, but did so at the expense of grip (large amount).

H

Hotrodstu77

Yup. If your runnin a realy grippy high performanc tire you get grip and response. So in order to eliminate some grip and retain the response you Jack up the tire pressure. If you look at some of the top drifting teams they will normally have thier tire pressures set in the 80 plus range. It's all your descretion too. If you think you drift better at 60 pounds then that's great. It's all what works for you. I was just stating that if you run an expensive peformance tire then a higher psi range is what will work best.

sx-si

Reaction score
stock s14 wheels are what you want if your just learning
never pay more than 10pound each wheel unless they have new tyres

if your running big power then start looking for wider and wider wheels

Reaction score
Cheers dude.

Just went down to the local mot centre and they had a crap load of tyres there! Got 3 205/55r16 with really good thread and picked up a few 205/50r16.

Will the 205/50r16 fit on the stock wheel? I know its the wrong size but will it fit?

Reaction score
Cool, guess I got lucky :D tyres have got amazing thread on them - and good makes (goodyear/michelin).

He said he will have another 8 for me tomorrow, guess a few beers are in order :thumbs: what a top bloke.

Reaction score
Country
Haha thats what ive been doing mate, ones ive got have between 2 and 3mm. They have to pay to dispose of used tyres anyway so you taking them off their hands for free is a bonus for them! :)

Reaction score
Country
Id say to be safe only to go one size up or down but im not 100%... Stock on my RX8 was 225/45/18 and i ran 235/40/18 on the stock rims no problem (could prob fit 245 on them). Ive picked up a few 215s for the S15 stock rims which are 205s standard and those should fit fine... i hope :D regarding profile i think you can run what you like, only downside is more gap in the arch if you go for a lower profile. Someone correct me if im totally wrong!

H

Hotrodstu77

I ran a max of 225 stretched on stock s13 rims when they call for a 195. Those tires were stretched but it worked well for learning how to drift.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
you stretched a tyre the wrong way?

Why would you put a 225 tyre on a oem 13 rim? what sorta HP you running?
I was just thinking the same thing?? I used to run slightly wider tyres on my S13, 205's if i recall? Stretching tyres is when you do the reverse isn't it?? Too small width tyre on the rim and you loose some of the side profile of the tyre (hence it's stretched?)...

@Andeep, i would just go with the above, some cheap tyres and the OEM wheels to begin with...