What's new

Ultimate wheel fitting guide

Reaction score
Country
+1

Yes I've missed out that point. You will need to make the judgement on what alignment setup you want to run. The setups above really isnt for maximum traction as the camber are dialled in more so to fit the wheels.

A

Ansch

got my eyes on a set of TE37's they are 17x8.5 +40 all round. Think it should be fine at the back but not sure about the fronts??

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
On stock front wings, the 8.5j may be to wide, it depends on your suspension but you will need around 10mm of spacer to stop it hitting the strut. I know Nicely's with ET32 sticks out slightly, but that i think is due to the wheels design, as the rim doesnt stick out.

I fitted 8j ET35 (with 5mm spacer) and Tein coilovers and 1.3 degree's (ish) of camber, the spacer was needed to stop the tire rubbing on the spring seat. Changed suspension to Apex coilovers and i bet i could ditch the spacer. Also looking to increase the camber at the front to around 1.5.

When i had the old wheels (9j +17), the front were running about -3 degree's camber (pillow mount over as far as it would go) and was decked to the floor (as low as the Tein's would go), the wheels tucked under nicely, but had around 2/3rd's of the tire on the floor (215/3*2 = 143mm on floor), the rears were the same size and suffered the same problem (225/3*2 = 150mm), fitted with P6000's (never buy) the traction was poor, to say the least.

Once i had the camber adjusted it pushed the wheels out a good bit (pic below), as a result i was pulled by the police (1st time in the S15) and given 7days to change or alter the wheels as they were illegal. I went for the 8j +35's all round i have now.

However, if i was to change the wheels (once funds allow), i'll be going for 8j +35 for the front, and 9j +40 for the rear. I'd like to go wider at the rear but would be happy with 9j :)

Quite a long post this, but what i'm trying to say is that there is no definative answer to widths/offsets/camber/heights unless everyone is the same :rolleyes:, i've learnt by experiance

A

Ansch

Thanks Topper.. I measured the clearence when I go home and I don't think it fits. I'm on standard wheels and suspension at the moment and there are less than 20mm (more like 17mm) clearence between the wheen and the strut. 8j +35 seems to be a good offset.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
8j +35 should be good for the front, bring it out enough to meet the arch, but not to much. you can get a 225 tire on it to, which is fine for the front i think.

J

j0nbubz

You'll want a 30 at the front and 38 for the rear. You shouldn't have any problems with coilover clearance

A

Ansch

Would +30 at the front stick out too much? compare to stock it would stick out 34mm. I'm on std height at the moment. May get a set of teins later but won't lower it stupidly..

P

Paul2x

Would +30 at the front stick out too much? compare to stock it would stick out 34mm. I'm on std height at the moment. May get a set of teins later but won't lower it stupidly..

I know on my car a 8 + 30 would hit the damper w/o a spacer.

If your not going to run spacers i'd go more aggressive if u can.

A

Ansch

I think the inside would be ok. the 8 +30 moves in 4mm compare to stock wheel. (according to the offset calculator) I still have the standard shocks and there's about 15mm clearance. How close to the edge of the arch would a 8" +30 be? I did some rough measurment last night. Put a spirit level against the guard and a ruler against the edge of the standard rim. When the spirit is perpendicular to the ground, it is about 30mm to the rim. So a 8 +30 would be just a tad out. But if I put 225/45 tires on it then it should be fine right?

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Hi,

I am using Buddy Club P1 Racing with stock springs as well...

F : 17 X 8 Off +30 (one finger gap to the stock strut) Tyres 225/45-17
R : 17 X 9 Off +31 (no problems with the unrolled arches) Tyres 235/45-17

I cant lower my car any more to maintain drivability from my house to my office without scrapping my Apexi N1.

A

Ansch

Thanks gunner,

I saw the photos of your rear wheel a couple of pages back. So I think if I get 17x9 +38 for the rear, it would be perfect. Just sit in a little bit more than yours.

would you be able to post some photos of your front guard and how the front wheel sits in relation to the edge of the arch?

Thanks

A

Ansch

thanks... looks good.. the 17x8 +30 doesn't stick out as much as I though it would. Nice job on the brake caliper as well

Reaction score
Country
Gunner,

I'm not sure where you got that offset from but the official buddy club offset
in 17x8 5lug is +32 and
in 17x9 5llug is +37

:)

You can double check the offset as it's behind one of the 6 spoke.

G

gunner93

Gunner,

I'm not sure where you got that offset from but the official buddy club offset
in 17x8 5lug is +32 and
in 17x9 5llug is +37

:)

You can double check the offset as it's behind one of the 6 spoke.
Thanks Ansch.

Ichi-go, The offset imprint on the rear was a little faded. May have been +37 but it looks to me like +31. I may shod in a 255 tyres but was a little worried it may rub the arches. :p

Last edited:
A

Ansch

Thanks guys,

Well guess what? I got myself a set of P1!! :D

Same offset same colour too.
17x8 +32
17x9 +37

The question now is what size tires. I know 225/45 for the front but the rear would either be 235/45 or 245/40.

Some quick snaps with the 255/40 slicks on them at the moment

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Ansch,

Looking Good! Are you using lowered suspension? Now I realised my front is sitting too high. Suggestion : get some bling colors on the front calipers - it will really stand out.