What's new

Changed brake fluid to Motul RBF600

J

Justified

Hey,

I'm not 100% certain whether i had this problem before the fluid change or not (maybe i just didnt take as much notice before), but after i changed the fluid, i went for a drive and noticed that my brake pedal feels a bit weird..

like, when im stationary, when i first step on it about 1/8 of the way down, it feels spongy then after that point, it hardens and i can feel the brakes..

I'm not sure if this was how it was like before the fluid change as i never really took much notice of it.

I made sure that when i changed the fluid, no air got into the lines.

Anyway, i also noticed that when im driving, when i do step on it 1/8 of the way down , although it feels spongy, it still brakes so at least i know its still working in that 1/8 of the way down..hehe

just wondering if anyone knows this is normal or should the brake pedal be rock solid as soon as you put ur foot on the pedal..

thanks!

P

paulphot

I changed my front pads and had Motul 5.1 put in, the pedal felt rock hard when I picked it up, I just had to look at the pedal and the brakes came on. It has softened up now as the fluid and pads are about 15,000km old, it feels like factory but without the brake fade after heavy braking.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, sounds like an air lock.

If I braked like I used to when the brakes were standard, I'd hit ABS all the time. 315mm discs, Project Mu pads, braided hoses and 5.1 fluid make for incrediable stopping power. Lol. At a sprint day yesterday and wanted to check a car noise, so reversed at about 10mph and slammed thhe brakes. ABS thunk, thunk, thunk! :p

Reaction score
Hey Justified, I know what you're talking about. I just recently changed my fluid because of waht you described, the pedal felt a bit spongy up top although it braked fine. After changing the fluid, pretty much the same. I think that's just the way the pedal feels unless you get braided lines and a master cylinder stopper etc. In a way it's good and progressive. I wouldn't worry about it.