What's new

Rattle On Right Side Of Steering Wheel?

wutang200

Reaction score
Guys I've noticed theres a really annoying rattle like a piece of wire is rattling against the plastic as when I put my hand there it's gone. I noticed that on the right side of the steering wheel right behind it theres like a little opening enough to get a flat headed screw driver inside to open it up.

Question is is this safe enogh to do without the airbags going off?

The bit I'm talking about is slightly behind the wheel itself. It's black plastic and has another opening on the left side too again enough for a flat headed screw driver.

Hope this makes sense. If not I'll get pics up.

S

StarletRick

not really sure what youre on about..

but as a general rule. i always disconnect the battery a few hours prior to any poking about by the steering wheel.

ive had an airbag go off in my face unexpectedly. it is quite fail. so its best be overcautious.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I was always told with airbags to disconnec the battery and push the brake pedal a few times to use the brake lights to drain any stored current in the system. After that you should be good to go. If you are unsure, follow the service manual step by step.

M

miller81

the parts you are talking about are blankers for the torx screws holding in the airbag,its o.k to remove these without disconnecting the battery,its unlikely the screws are loose as there is normally thread lock on the threads,if you are taking these out disconnect the battery obviously and the airbag will come out for you

wutang200

Reaction score
Thanks miller81 that's exactly what I was looking for. Will do it tonight and get rid of the annoying rattle. There's quite a few other rattles on my car such as the bootlid which I also need to fix but I'll put up another thread up about that some other time.

M

miller81

no problem...i had a rattle in mine but i just replaced it with a deep dish steering wheel anyway,also had a rattle from my bootlid so i adjusted the rubbers at the boot panel by turning them anti-clockwise to get rid of the rattle...

wutang200

Reaction score
I took both covers off earlier but the rattle is coming from the top. Will leave it till tomorrow as it's too dark now.

Steering cowling willl need to come off so I can stick some tissue between the top bit and hopefully problem solved :)

Also found them 2 big round rubber bush things that supposed to absorb the rattling on the bootlid and stuck some soft tape over it and unscrewed it a little and it seems to be non existant now.

Will see how it is when I'm on the motorway next as that's when it's most noticeable.