What's new

Installing a 2JZ-GTE VVTI

H

hazzard

Into an S15

Has anybody here done this conversion (Either 2JZ-GTE VVTI or non VVTI)? I am pretty much looking at building this as a project with a 6-speed supra box(or similar). Just wanted to know basically anything anybody can tell me about the conversion how easy it was for them anything they did or didn't do etc. Also do the mounts line up the same with a 2JZ as what they do with the standard SR20.

Drift-works have built a drift Silvia with this motor but they didn't use the standard mounts and moved the engine back through the firewall.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/29908-driftworks-s15-silvia-2jzgte.html

Also any ideas for this project are welcome. I am trying to keep the motor under 500hp for a start though as I don't want a roll-cage in my car and NZ law states I need I will need one over 650.

Thanks in advance.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Not sure if this will help but is it worth considering the 1JZ??

Reason is a slightly smaller unit might be a better alternative when it comes to fitment and also considerations have to be made for weight distribution which will affect handling etc (esp if you're not planning to push the block back via the firewall etc)...

Have a flick through the latest Japanese Performance which has an RX-7 as a cover car and contains a 1JZ conversion. Think it's knocking on 500 bhp so the block looks ample for the power requirements you're looking into :)

S

StarletRick

you can get 500hp from an sr fairly easily/reliably if you have the money to spend.

if you want a 6 cylinder. rb25 is a good swap out. can buy full conversion kits for fairly cheap.

there is no reason why you would swap in a 2jz if youre aiming at 500hp. there are plenty of cheaper and easier options.

J

jonny b

id go with 1jz all the way,,plenty off conversions done,and cant go wrong with TOYOTA

H

hazzard

1JZ

I have never actually considered the 1JZ.

The reason I want a 2JZ is just to own the motor. Also I know I will not break it. The other thing is that most likely later on I will then install a roll cage and tune the motor up to 800hp. However by then I will most likely be thinking about putting the motor into something else.

I could consider a RB25 kit but I just love that supra sound.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
pretty sure that driftworks put a 2jz into their drift s15. did a full write up on it. lot of work went into it. they cut the firewall & moved the driver position & dash etc back in the car. don't think its required just that they wanted to balance weight better for drifting

Reaction score
Country
I know this is an old post... im actually currently in the process of swapping my S15 with a 2JZ-GTE. why? Because I can lol. I can keep you updated on the build. it should be fun.