What's new

rattle in engine

B

bugelli

k guys well in the past few days i have been hearing a rattle in the passanger side of the engine bay so it could be the turbo. but any way as soon as i accel and decel between 3 grand revs and 4 grand near boost i hear a rattle. 2morrow i will have a closer inspection. but does anyone know what might be the problem? and what to look at? cheers guys bugelli.

S

StarletRick

you need to describe the sound better, it could be anything.

can you get a sound clip of it?

B

bugelli

well its not a knocking i know that for sure. i will get a video of it with sound 2morrow. its hard to explain the rattle hahaa

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if its coming from the turbo and its kind of a rattle/tinny tapping on hard acceleration (on boost) its very likely turbo gasket related mate. look for any black sooty marks around the flanges:nod:

D

dss15

Hey,

Chop off a bit of garden hose, about 1m long. Put one end in your ear, and take the other end and slowly move it around your turbo while the engine's idling. If the exhaust sound gets any louder at any point - blown gasket. Don't be too jumpy though, the change in noise is really noticeable.. and in some cases you can even feel it puttering exhaust into your skull.

Do this near the dump pipe gasket (bit that goes from the back of the turbo to exhaust) and around everything from the exhaust manifold down also.

had the same rattle - it was the dump pipe gasket for me. Your exhaust moves a little when you back off the accelerator.

Also, while you're there, crawl under the car and aim it at the catalytic converter gaskets. Mine were F***ed!

Also simple things - loose heat shield on the exhaust manifold maybe? (hopefully)

Good luck :wave:

E

eebhu

mines the same, everytime the turbo is on, theres a sound like when u take a piece of paper and you stick it in a fan. turbo gasket perhaps?

Reaction score
just been through the exact same symptoms, changed the manifold gaskets to turbo and to head and happy days!