What's new

blown hose - part suggestions please

D

dss15

Hi Guys,

Caught this blowout very early in the drive. Oil spewed all over the exhaust manifold. Can anybody tell me what this line's called and whats the best & longest lasting replacement option? Looks like I'll have to pull the turb off and redo all the gaskets at the same time.

anything else I should do while I'm pulling this area apart?

See split hose below..

Reaction score
i am not sure if thats the water line to or from the turbo or the oil line (you did say it was oil spilling so i am guessing it is that) - whatever one it is i suggest you replace it with an aftermarket braided option - available all over ebay and what not (and while you are at it get a set and change them all, you will never have a problem again)

someone else will be able to tell you exactly which line it is, i havent taken it apart on the s15 before

J

JDM 20T

looks to me like the coolant return line from the turbo best solution might as well get braided lines for the oil and coolant since you have to replace it anyways

S

StarletRick

thats a water line, the oil goes in the top, water in the sides.

i have all the stock lines if you want. you can have them if you pay the postage on them.

that said, i would really recommend you get a full set of braided lines made up. it makes life so much easier.

also do all the gaskets while you have the tubby out.

Last edited:
D

dss15

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

Pulled the turbo & manifold out today, took about 2 hours and a lot of sore fingers. It was the coolant line AND the oil line was leaking -- double whammy. I think I'll go braided, because these stock lines look like they can shear/snap under any heavy vibrations.

Should see the thing, clean snap - either heaps of heat, or a big bump in the road woulda done it...
:wave:

D

dss15

Oh, man. Thank you so much. I've been searching for F'ing hours and the best I can come up with is a $500 aussie mob, and some questionable hong kong stuff.

Legendary :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, Greg's stuff is normally pretty good.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yes yes oil and coolant lines... tell me about it lol??!! :annoyed:

Braided deffo the way to go as stock ones will just crack at some point again - esp if taken on track and getting more abuse!!

I personally went for Apex Performance cos they did quick turn around and usually have them in stock but you get bum raped on price :eek: Hose Solutions is popular cheaper alternative but you might be waiting a few days on delivery like my mate with S14 recently had to...

Since you got the whole lot off, might be worth changing the turbo/mani and turbo/elbow gaskets - both should cost under £10 each IIRC from Nissan - only buy Nissan though :thumbs:

James

D

dss15

Hey James,

Yeah, definitely. almost 200aud for a few hoses is a bit out of control, but whatever. I knew I'd bleed cash the second I bought the s15 - it's part of the deal!

Everythings off, got new gaskets and hoses coming.. and I did the new manifold, cat, dump, ecu, EBC, fuel pump and plugs while I was at it hahaha.

Big week of fiddling and sore fingers ahead. :nod:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool - it feels like a PITA until you put all the shiny new bits together and drive her... then you'll understand the amount of effort spent and it'll feel worthwhile :)

At least you're not doing what my mate did which is pull everything apart, do most upgrades and fixes except the oil feed line which he kept with the original stock item... put everything back together and then find out 2 weeks later the oil line is pissing oil out!!! :( Bad decision to not do it all at the same time...

D

dss15

Heheh poor guy. I've found once you do it once, it gets easier, EG dump pipe gasket, I can get that sucker off in minutes but the first attempt took a whole afternoon :rolleyes:

D

dss15

Holy crap.

Putting it all back together was NOT easy... Warning for others who read this, see if you can actually 'try' the stainless mani for a good fit before you buy.

today, I had two options. Both of these were because my manifold bolts were seriously fused in and I didn't want to drill them out.. they're in, right??

Option 1 - attach the turbo & cables to the mani and slide in (stock manifold lets you do this, easy)

Option 2 - attempt to properly attach the turbo after installing the manifold. Upside down, poor angles, ouchie. Don't do it if you can avoid it.

BOTH were almost impossible. I ended up decently attaching the turbs to the mani, and having to unbolt most of that awkward air conditioner gear in the far top right of the engine bay. It was a nightmare. About 9 hours, and I'm actually profusely bleeding in various parts of my arms.

LESSON:
For those having troubles fitting a custom stainless manifold, I sincerely suggest cutting down time by just 'making room' - remove all the awkward air conditioning gear in the top right of the engine bay, and reinstall whatever you remove later. Bolt the manifold in tightly, do the dump pipe, get all the cables in, replumb, and THEN clean up.

*sigh* at least it sounds mad, and there's definitely improved boost response.

D

dss15

Yeah definitely do the lines if you're doing the manifold. They will crack eventually!

When you put it all back together don't forget the locking tabs. Even better, buy new ones, because I snapped the corner off on one of mine. Had to wait for delivery, was a pain in the ass.

The earls lines I got were an easy fit if you're OK with postage from Oz.