What's new

Meshing front bumper

J

Jono

Just need your opinions - I'm using simple black-plastic mesh to mesh my front bumper (no FMIC for me, got a ?300 vets bill yesterday :( )

How would you fix the mesh to the bumper? My plan at the moment is to use no-nails on the back of the bumper where it's not visible. I've done this before and the stuff holds very well. The other option would be to get some plastic 'pop-pins' that will hold the mesh in place but I'm not sure that's a great idea.

What would you do?

J

Jono

Oh, and yes, I'm writing a fitting guide for this too and because I'm so nice I'm also creating templates so that should anyone else wish to mimic my efforts, the'll be able to cut their mesh to size without too much effort! :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
No, no, no :no: I originally stuck mesh directly to the back of my S14 bumper. Bad move. Its a PITA to get it to hold and a PITA if you change you mind later.

Take the bumper off to do it. Its a lot easier.

Cut your mesh an inch or so bigger than the scoop you want to mesh.

Get some thin stainless wire and cut it into about 10cm lengths. Bend in half and stick the bend to the hidden side of the bumper scoop with some of that two layer paste that comes in tubes (blue outside, soft white inside - cut a small piece off and kneed with fingers). With take a couple of minutes to set solid. Repeat this at intervals around the scoop.

When the wires are set in place, put the mesh over the back of the scoop, with the wires threading through. Simply twist the wires over the mesh. This allows you to remove it easily at any point in the future without having marked the bumper or covered it in shite. :)

J

Jono

Nicely said:
that two layer paste that comes in tubes (blue outside, soft white inside)
:confused: Oh dear... what's that?!

I can kinda see where you're coming from anyway. I've already cut one piece of mesh to start with - this is an inch bigger all 'round as you suggested. I'll take a look in halfords for said wire and putty and see what I can find. Must admit, a picture would be VERY helpful! :nod:

J

Jono

True, but not of the compound & wire trick... that's the bit I'm trying to get my head around. Never fear - I'll work it out! :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Halfrauds sell the paste. Its in clear tubes. Like Smartie type tubes rather than toothpaste type tubes. The paste is blue. Can't find a photo, I'm afraid. It'll be in the repair section.

Doubt you'll find SS wire in Halfrauds. I say SS as ordinary wire will be rusty in a week.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country

The U bent wire sticks to the other side of the scoop, pointing towards the rad. The mesh will just go over it and the wires can be twisted over the mesh to hold it in place.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've managed to find a workstation which can actually save JPEGs and uploaded to Imagestation (can't access my webspace at work).

J

Jono

Any idea where I can get the wire from? been all over Banbury and the only place i can find it IS Halfords... ?13 for a roll! More than I need I suspect and bloody expensive for using like a sandwich bag tie! ;)

Suggestions?

J

Jono

Followed your advice and went for the "staple" approach. I made these with a tube of Bostik Epoxy Resin Putty stuff from Halfords. It was good stuff and very quick setting. I used wire from my neighbours welding reel. It's copper in appearence but not sure if it's copper wire - semed quite tough. Anyway, he assures me it won't rust!

Couldn't remove the front bumper despite removing every single clip and bolt I could see. Still it was just as easy to do it from the ground up by removing the plastic trays under the car. A doddle!

Good job, well done and easy-peasy after all! Thanks for the advise and the guide Nicely. I didn't bother making a story board of my fitting as yours covers it all!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You possibly missed the two bolts holding the bumper to the wings (you have to take the arch liner off)? :)

J

Jono

That'd make sense yes. I got the wheel arch liners half-off and then decided I was stripping too much off the car and was worried I'd never get it all back in the right place! :eek:

J

Jono

Nope that's the optional extra "Nismo Sports Horn"! :nod:

I ask you... what can be sporty about a horn? :rolleyes:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You tell us you have one, is it very :ghey: like the stock ones?? or more manly since its a Nismo??