What's new

Octane requirement

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
As said they are mapped from factory to run on 100 ron (octane) fuel as its either that or 92 ron (i think) at the pumps in Japan.

The lower the ron level you run the more chance you have of det (plinking) in the cylinders which will eventually kill your engine.

I personally only run 99 ron from Tescos as its the closest you can get here.

But ultimatly to overcome this issue you can have the car remapped using whatever fuel you wish so you will not get det.

Remember though the lower the ron the less potential power you will see.

Reaction score
Since when has it been 99 ron? we all had this discussion a while back and a few of us said 98 and some said 99. Upon doing a bit of digging we found out it was only 98 ron. It must have only changed in the last month or two if it is now 99 ron... My car runs better on tescos fuel and its cheaper!

Reaction score
Country
My cars been mapped on Tescos 99 Super and runs sweet!! Best fuel out there for the money imo :)

Reaction score
From the beginner i put on Ron97, but now i can't get that anymore :( now i force to take Ron95. My engine is under power and have slow response >.<

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm mapped for v-power which is 99ron or was at the time, but i might try a tank of that tescos stuff....cant see it hurting if its the same ron no. but apparently tesco have a lot more additives and detergents in thier fuel. as long as they work i dont care....:nod:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
i'm mapped for v-power which is 99ron or was at the time, but i might try a tank of that tescos stuff....cant see it hurting if its the same ron no. but apparently tesco have a lot more additives and detergents in thier fuel. as long as they work i dont care....:nod:
If it was going to damage your car then they would not be allowed to sell it you would think?

Ive been running nothing but Tesco 99RON for 1.5 years now with no issue :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
V-Power is 100% definatly 99 RON and has been since they changed it form Optimax, which used to be 98, so its been 99 a few years now. Check their website for more details on it.
Price is about 6ppl more than regular Shell unleaded.

The thing puting me off Tescos petrol is silly stuff like that silicone outbreak they had a while ago, and with a huge international fuel company like Shell, I would have thought they'd invest a fair bit more money into research and development to make it as good as they can.

People say fuel all comes from the same place etc, but for the sake of 50p-£1 a tank, I go for the V-power. I dont mean to sound rude to you guys on the Tesco 99, but thats just my opinion on it.

:)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
From the beginner i put on Ron97, but now i can't get that anymore :( now i force to take Ron95. My engine is under power and have slow response >.<
Put some octane booster in with your fuel. It sounds like chavvy stuff, but it works.

Reaction score
I heard before a product call octane booster. All the while not really trust that thing. Any of you use this product before? How long have you use?